Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ride plate installation

I am going to remove my stock 04 ride plate and put on the 07 moded by Speed Freeks.
    I have seen how others use the jack to get plate off, but i am open to any tips, tricks, or suggestions by those that have done this mod.

I did not find a "how to" so if there is one point me in the right direction.

thanks

+1
    Make sure you remove the nipples that the coolant hoses attach to. They unscrew!! If you don't they will break off inside the plate and you can't get the inserts that go inside the plate!! Ask me how I know. Once off clean all silicone off then reapply silicone where it was removed from. There is a lot of silicone on this thing so I bought a chaulk tube of RTV and used a chaulk gun to reapply the silicone. It makes it easy to reapply w/ the caulk gun because you need more than is in a normal can. Hope this helps I just installed my Jims ride plate w/ skeggs and this is how I did it. Havent tested yet though because its to cold here

jack the ride plate a little then take a thin peace of mig wire and run it between the hull and ride plate 2 cut the silicone apart it will help to keep the peaces of the hull from pulling off with the ride plate i put the 06 ride plate on my 04 and had to cut out the holes a little so the ride plate coolant lines would fit in place, pre fit the ride plate 1st befor u put on the silicone

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    jack the ride plate a little then take a thin peace of mig wire and run it between the hull and ride plate 2 cut the silicone apart it will help to keep the peaces of the hull from pulling off with the ride plate i put the 06 ride plate on my 04 and had to cut out the holes a little so the ride plate coolant lines would fit in place, pre fit the ride plate 1st before u put on the silicone and use the jack to preset it into place so u have a feel for it first before the FINAL SETTING! BET!!!!!!!!
    great advice.......as this is my first move after clean up!

p.s. DONT BE AFRAID TO USE TO MUCH SILICONE!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    jack the ride plate a little then take a thin peace of mig wire and run it between the hull and ride plate 2 cut the silicone apart it will help to keep the peaces of the hull from pulling off with the ride plate i put the 06 ride plate on my 04 and had to cut out the holes a little so the ride plate coolant lines would fit in place, pre fit the ride plate 1st befor u put on the silicone
    this is a good idea... come to think of it, when you remove a windshield from a car, they use guitar string to cut the silicone...

+1
    Thanks Guys
    Some very good tips indeed.
    Keep em coming.

What all needs to be removed inside of hull to make the instalation easier.
    Anything or nothing???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Thanks Guys
    Some very good tips indeed.
    Keep em coming.

What all needs to be removed inside of hull to make the instalation easier.
    Anything or nothing???
    to do it correctly and see whats going on i would remove air intake system and the entire exhaust system J-pipe water box rear exhaust outlet pipe and the entire intercooler and piping and top Speedfreek mounting plate for the cooler....u can then see whats going on properly for refitment and siliconing ...........this stuff as well as the obvious which is drain coolant and remove the hoses to the plate along with the inside hose adaptors that screw onto the plate plastic inserts as the need removed BEFORE u take the plate loose from the hull with a bottle jack! good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    to do it correctly and see whats going on i would remove air intake system and the entire exhaust system J-pipe water box rear exhaust outlet pipe and the entire intercooler and piping and top Speedfreek mounting plate for the cooler....u can then see whats going on properly for refitment and siliconing ...........this stuff as well as the obvious which is drain coolant and remove the hoses to the plate along with the inside hose adaptors that screw onto the plate plastic inserts as the need removed BEFORE u take the plate loose from the hull with a bottle jack! good luck!
    Thanks Bro,

That is what i was wondering. I like to do it right, and nothing be in the way, so I will tear it down. Its not a problem on the RXP to gut er out pretty quick.
    I want to do right the first time and not have any leaks or hickups.

Question, I am not sure if i have the o rings that go on the 07 plate where the connection hoses go on.
    I have ordered so many parts i will just have to check supply, but if i dont have those specific o rings, I wonder if one of the many other o rings i have would work.

I am going to write down oring number and see if perhaps i already ordered them. If not JERRY

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Thanks Bro,

That is what i was wondering. I like to do it right, and nothing be in the way, so I will tear it down. Its not a problem on the RXP to gut er out pretty quick.
    I want to do right the first time and not have any leaks or hickups.

Question, I am not sure if i have the o rings that go on the 07 plate where the connection hoses go on.
    I have ordered so many parts i will just have to check supply, but if i dont have those specific o rings, I wonder if one of the many other o rings i have would work.

I am going to write down oring number and see if perhaps i already ordered them. If not JERRY

tell u the truth when i do it i put so much silicone around the the plastic plate fittings that when i bolt it to the hull it squishes silicone up inside the hull and i then screw the inside hull fitting on then i wipe it around the fitting and in the area of the hull around the fitting i dont think i even had the rubber o rings the last time and used silicone on the threads and it held like a champ.........best bet is the o rings it takes for ultimate reliability but i know what i did worked great! good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    tell u the truth when i do it i put so much silicone around the the plastic plate fittings that when i bolt it to the hull it squishes silicone up inside the hull and i then screw the inside hull fitting on then i wipe it around the fitting and in the area of the hull around the fitting i dont think i even had the rubber o rings the last time and used silicone on the threads and it held like a champ.........best bet is the o rings it takes for ultimate reliability but i know what i did worked great! good luck!
    I usually use too much silicone on any mods that require silicone. I think i just like to make a mess and see how much I can get on me.

I love this site, I just went back to OEM orders and checked my history and bam, back 3 months ago i ordered 2 x 293300121.
    It was so long ago i couldnt remember.

Now i just need to get off work so i can get the project started.

Thanks REID,

I will need your help once i pull my head to get work done too.

Thats next on the list and you seem to be the one to go to, to get it done right.
    Dont worry, I am not doing all the head work myself, just need some of your tricks going back togehter. I know you have posted them so i can find them when it comes time.

I got to try to keep up with the Big Dogs. !!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information