Earth, USA, California

Feds ban Jet Ski surfing in Northern California

Feds Ban Jet Ski Surfing In Northern California

December 2, 2008 7:34 a.m. EST
    David Goodhue - AHN Reporter
    San Francisco, CA (AHN) - The sport of tow-in surfing in central California is about to be dealt a blow.
    The sport revolves around surfers being towed into waves by personalized watercraft because the waves are too big and fast for traditional padel surfing.
    But environmentalists have long criticized the sport because they say the PWCs pollute the ocean.
    The federal government this year agreed and the practice is being banned in much of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. This will affect surfers at beaches from Monterey to Half Moon Bay.
    The only exception will be at the popular big-wave spot, Mavericks, where tow-in surfing will be allowed on days the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issues high-surf advisories.
    The surfing community is divided on the issue. Some surfers agree with environmentalists that PWCs are too polluting, and others consider themselves traditionalists who don't see the challenge in being towed into a wave.
    The ban goes into effect on Feb. 1, 2009.
    Feds Ban Jet Ski Surfing In Northern California | AHN | December 3, 2008
    Not only do they ban jet ski surfing, they BAN all PWC related activity, and do not seclude other boats, this is a biased attack on our community without fair data or representation on behalf of NOAA and Surfrider.

United States
    I joined AWA, what else can I do? is there a letter writing campaign? or anything else I can get involved in? I am tired of the liberal tree huggers imposing there will on my freedoms. Thanks for all you do in spreading the word.

Earth, USA, California
    OB-We are hosting the International PWC safety summit at this moment in Hawai'i preparing for AWA member programs and projects that will be later announced early in 2009! It's an exciting time for us as we collaborate with our boating safety partners and we will be organzing member action alerts soon. Thanks for joining, let's continue on a membership drive so we can have more PWC enthusiasts supporting our community and access to water ways. I really appreciate your you belong to any local clubs? If not start an AWA club in your area!

The K38 International Safety Summit readies in Hawaii Rescue craft and company : photo Tom Stone

Water Safety
    The K38 International Safety Summit readies in Hawaii
    Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 2 December, 2008 : - - The K38 International Safety Summit is a gathering of administrative professionals, recreational enthusiast, and educators involved in boating safety, specific to the use of Personal Watercraft (PWC) or Rescue Water Craft (RWC).

The Summit was created to bring these groups together to share ideas, address rules & regs, national education standards, advancing the technology & application, issues in the line up (tow-surfing), as well as training techniques and experiences to further enhance the development and the applicable use (properly) of these unique small vessels.

Kanalu K38 a non-profit affiliate of the National Safe Boating Council is the ‘Ohana host for 2008. Kanalu K38 will support our ‘Aha Hui community outreach by sharing educational philosophies and programs relative to national/international organizations/agencies, and K38 affiliates addressing topics of Personal Watercraft (jetski) use specific to the Hawaiian Islands.

The K38 International Safety Summit – December 4-12th, 2008 Locations: Pai’a, Maui Community College, and the Northeastern Coastline of Maui

Confirmed Attendees: Bill Gossard (National Transportation Safety Board)

John Donaldson (Kawasaki Marketing, USA)

Representatives of American Watercraft Assoc. AWA

Archie Kalepa – Ocean Safety, Maui, Pake Ah Mow – KanaluK38/Ocean Safety PWC Operator

Darrick Donner and Buzzy Kerbox (originators of tow-surfing),

DOCARE, Hayden Aluli (Attorney)

Shawn Alladio (founder K3

United States Coast Guard USCG

K38 International, and more. K38 Small Kine Gathering

AWA & Summit Registration (Meet your K38 Ohana)

Thursday, December 4, 2008 (4:00pm – 8:00pm)

K38 International Opening Celebration - Welcome to the K38 International Summit!

Friday, December 5, 2008 (5:00pm – 9:00pm)
    Location: TBA at registration (Flatbread Pizza) or contact 808-561-5663

Special Guests Invocation: LAMAKU O KA NA’AUAO (Tom Pohaku Stone)

Kanalu K38 Practical Basic Boating Certification Course (No Fee)

Saturday-Sunday December 6-7, 2008 (9:00am – 5:00pm)

Kanalu K38 Summit Discussion Panels

Monday-Tuesday Dec 8-9 (8:00 – 3:30):
    Maui Community College: Multi-Purpose Room in the Pilina Building

Kanalu K38 Instructor Course (Invitation Only)
    Wednesday-Friday, December 10-11th, 2008 (On water activities; mandatory meeting to follow)
    Day One 9:00am to 5:00pm
    Day Two 9:00am to 5:00pm

Any updates about the ban on Jet Ski Surfing? It's supposed to be effective today, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by mickiedaniels View Post
    Any updates about the ban on Jet Ski Surfing? It's supposed to be effective today, am I right?
    Welcome to the hulk......
    I have 1 stupid comment to make about it...................
    dont the feds have laws against growing/useing/possesing pot
    have much are they enforcing that in N.Cali???
    how many H20/5-0(water cops fed or not fed) are out there???
    i can see beaches and things too close but ...i dont know i dont live there
    thanks and sorry

Earth, USA, California
    I believe the date was about the 20th of this month....

Thread Information