Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pump seal kits

Pump seal kits

So I was going to order this for the wifes new ski and then I thought...

Why not just fill the spaces with something else? There's a number of componds that should work well and you could save about $40 bucks.

Any thoughts?

THEY HAVE A PRODUCT BY SUBARU CALLED THREE BOND
    ITS LIKE CAULK BUT IT DRIES ROCK HARD LIKE PLASTIC AND WONT COME APART WE USE IT ALL THE TIME TO SEAL INTAKE MANIFOLDS ON VEHICHLES

i allways kinda wondered the same thing-- instead of spending 70bux on some molded rubber pieces why cant you just use the same stuff everyones using to fill the holes on their rideplates and whatnot-

http://rivaforums.com/groupee/forums...642#3221032642
    hole filling

ive used that magnum stuff before on other things, they actually make a stonger version of it too and those tubes are like 3bux- dries ROCK hard and is sandable, might take 4 or 5 tubes but $15 is better than 70..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xyzyx00
    i allways kinda wondered the same thing-- instead of spending 70bux on some molded rubber pieces why cant you just use the same stuff everyones using to fill the holes on their rideplates and whatnot-

http://rivaforums.com/groupee/forums...642#3221032642
    hole filling

ive used that magnum stuff before on other things, they actually make a stonger version of it too and those tubes are like 3bux- dries ROCK hard and is sandable, might take 4 or 5 tubes but $15 is better than 70..

i think the rubber stuff is there just to help fill most of the space up rather than filling it all completely up with 5200 or something and potentially having air bubbles in there whcih could possibly lead to water intrusion. But heck, why not try it - we will never know untill its tried.

I have to agree that its awful expensive for just those rubber pieces. I would venture to say that you might be able to fabricate something similar on your own.

Scott, when you try it - let us know how it goes. Great idea by the way.

I was surprised to find Bondo in the spaces where you'd normally find the pump plug pieces on a project XLT I bought late last year. At first I thought the guy I bought it from was a moron. The more I think about it though, the more it's making sense. It dries completely, it seals up nicely, and after it is completely dry it shrunk up just enough to warrant using a little 4200 to finish the sealing the whole thing up back up to the hull. Someone check me if I've lost my mind or it I need to give back change on my .02. Thanks.

+1
    Been using the cheapest silicone filler I could find. I tried the inserts in 2002 and didn't understand why I just spent all that money, and THEN needed to trim them down.

Since then I put in $5 worth of silicone and let it dry. It has never let me down. I just did another one.

That's what I was thinking! I'm going to lick up some this weekend! I'll post picts and let you all know it works out.

Scott

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    I use fiber glass apoxy.resin. $25.00 for the whole job. I tore it down to find it as good as when I put it in there at the start of last year.
    An due to the fact I may be cheap. I used .030 plastic shim stock on both sides of my block off gasket for my jet works mod in my pipe.. to back up the gasket that I cut. like a sandwich with the gasket in the center. Shim stock (plastic) doesn't melt. until about 430f.
    Just a thought

+1
    Well I've done it and it works well. I did find that 5200 does expand when you use alot of it so I pre-fill all the voids that are usually filled with the plug kit and let the uninstalled parts cure over night. Next day use a razor to trim off the expanded 5200 that sticks up too far, then seal it up at install as normal.

I started doing this because the last 2 plug kits I got required a good bit of trimming to get the shoe to pull up right. I find that not only is it cheaper but requires alot less triming.

Ken

Thanks all for the great info! I didn't get to it yet, should be doing it soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information