Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

951 DI to carb conversion

Looking to see what all is involved in converting a DI ski to a carburated motor.
    What all is interchangable?
    What would need to be replaced?
    Don't want to fool with the injected system.

+1
    Never done one,I dont think it would be worth the time or cost effective either.

So many things you might as well get another Ski. Fuel Tank, Fuel lines, valve, filter, vent checkvalves, MPEM, electrical harness, Engine,(cases, crank, balance shaft, cylinders, head, Intakes and carbs, all different) You can use the starter and the Hulland maybe the seat... LOL! Just the things I came up with to start with.
    The DI is one of the best most fuel efficient and cleanest Skis out their Put the effort into learning the system and how to fix it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    So many things you might as well get another Ski. Fuel Tank, Fuel lines, valve, filter, vent checkvalves, MPEM, electrical harness, Engine,(cases, crank, balance shaft, cylinders, head, Intakes and carbs, all different) You can use the starter and the Hulland maybe the seat... LOL! Just the things I came up with to start with.
    The DI is one of the best most fuel efficient and cleanest Skis out their Put the effort into learning the system and how to fix it
    Why would he change an engine to fit carbs? The fuel tank yes...carb lines yes..MPEM dunno, wiring harness to accept carbs??come on. If he put a set of OEM carbs from an earlier model, why could'nt he?

To the orginal poster..the DI works for what it does..all this other sales pitch, cleanest, effecient blah. blah..take it for what it sounds like. Sea Doo sales pitch.

How are you "fooling" around with the fuel injection? Is it not working or are you wanting more power?

I guess it would help if you had been through one or rebuilt a DI . I have done 4 as a Seadoo Tech. Lost count of the 951's. The DI has an air pump built in to the block and its driven by the balance shaft. The MPEM does a lot more than a Carb it senses how the plug fires and adjusts fuel and timing. It also controls lots of extra crap. The Harness will need to be changed because most people dont like open wires and conectors in a bildge and the new MPEM will need to be wired different ect ect ect.
    All the other Sales pitch is True They run cleaner than 4 strokes and get better fuel economy.

Have been looking at a deal on a DI ski with out a motor.
    From what I have been reading, the DI system is a nightmare if there are any problems that come up.
    And in a hobby that is not cheap to begin with, parts for the DI are through the roof!
    Was looking to take what was a DI project ski and get it back on the water with a carb motor.
    I have the tools and ability to tackle a carb version.
    Seadoo made a DI and a carb version of the ski in question for the same year.
    So far, I have found that the wiring, MPEM, and actual motor (951) are different.
    Going to carb would be a drop in, but some mods as far as wiring and management (MPEM) would need to be changed?? (That is the original question.)
    Just needing to know if it is going to be a rediculous amount of things that would have to be replaced that would not work and if the investment would be worth the undertaking.
    It is a ski that I am wanting, just not the DI.
    Looking to get the ski I really want at a deal since it needs work and I can have a little project to fool with and hopefully make a nice ski out of it.

+1
    Really bad idea just buy a low compression carb ski and fix it up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Why would he change an engine to fit carbs? The fuel tank yes...carb lines yes..MPEM dunno, wiring harness to accept carbs??come on. If he put a set of OEM carbs from an earlier model, why could'nt he?
    Sound's easy ???? Not even close,like PEST said. The DI is a whole different animal.

Ski is in great shape.
    Has everything with it EXCEPT motor.
    Since it needed a motor, I was hoping it would be an easy conversion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball451 View Post
    Ski is in great shape.
    Has everything with it EXCEPT motor.
    Since it needed a motor, I was hoping it would be an easy conversion.
    Well, I did what your asking about - in reverse. Took a carbed GSX-L and converted it to a Level 1 DI. I would HIGHLY recommend not doing what you're asking. I love my DI skis (two) and have gotten a lot more trouble-free enjoyment out of my GSX-L/DI than I ever did when it was carbed. Better fuel economy and overall reliability. The level 1 puts it around 145 HP give or take - probably a bit less, but still a lot of fun. Converted the ski 4 years ago and have never had to do anything to it but routine maintenance which is nearly nothing. The DI stuff is more complex, but makes for a much more efficient fuel and spark management system.

To convert to a carbed (RX I assume) you'll need:
    • Complete engine with carbs, RAVE valves, & pipe
    • MPEM with engine harness
    • RAVE solenoid
    • Fuel tank with sending unit, maybe filler tube (?)
    • Fuel filter
    • You'll need to do some cooling line routing or add case coolers
    • Cap off the oil return line at the filler tube
    • All new fuel delivery lines and "on/off/res" switch, brackets, etc.
    • Install carbed engine with flame arrestors and jet accordingly, & get rid of that awful water sucking air box
    Coil box will probably be OK. Driveline/PTO is the same. Handlebar and hood harnesses should be OK. There's probably more but I can't think of any right now, the wife's shampooing the carpet and I can't think over the noise .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information