Oil Contamination Management System

Saturday, July 5th, 2008
Two different kits available. One for the 07 models and one for the 08 models that are only available at 4TechPerformance.com.

Made by members and mostly marketed for member of Greenhulk.net, a watercraft performance forum. Most of the technical support is through the forum threads but you must be a member. Ah alright Ill snatch the instructions and post em for ya just encase you donít wanna be a member. You should though! Lots of good information if you know how to use the search button at the top of the forum page.
2007 OCMS Kit
2008 OCMS Kit
Iím making this review on my own personal findings after buying a kit for an 07. Though I have an 08 race boat for testing. I will also be doing testing on a stock engine boat.
First and most important is the kit requires individuals to maintain it safely. This kit relocates the oil return line from the Oil Separator Can. The weld on bung is to be welded onto the can about an inch to inch & half above bottom weld line. By not using the weld on bung you are not allowing excessive collected oil to return to the oil pan thus running a huge risk of low engine oil. This could cause excessive engine ware, rising engine temps and costly oil pump failure. One needs to understand the process of emissions and the potential dangers of blocking off return oil lines. So be sure to take the time and weld on the optional fitting sent with the kit.

Understand that this kit does interrupt the normal cycle of emissions vapor and the collection of these interrupted vapors is misleading the consumer into thinking they had an issue when it ĒcouldĒ be they did not. Especially for 08 model owners that vary rarely suffer from gas in the oil symptoms but some have been known to have this issue.
I have found that if you interrupt the ventilation process too early then the collected amount is going to show greater then after it has been refined properly. This interruption can be misleading with higher then normal collections. With that said, its important to point out that the OCMS will indeed almost eliminate the GIO issue in boats that suffer from this GIO issue but donít let the collected amounts scare you into believing you had a huge problem.
Take a moment to follow the blow by ventilation passage with me. Vapor (ie gas and moisture) from the combustion chamber of a cylinder gets compressed, during this compression some of these vapors escape past the rings ďthe seals of the pistonĒ into the crank case. This collection of vapors follow an escape passage to be vented out and away to make more room in the crank case which sit below the cylinder where the combustion happens. Not venting this properly or quickly can cause rings to not seat well in the cylinder and allowing a larger amount of vapor to escape the combustion area. If the Ultra had better rings then the resistants to this happening would be greater. The vapor and gasses pass at a large amount of volume into a collection point ďCase Vent BoxĒ on an 07 or the valve cover on an 08, where it slows and starts into the refining process. This refining process actually starts within the the Oil Catch Can, where gasses get sucked out of the can into the air intake system of the motor. Condensation of gasses collects along with oil onto the walls of the catch can, which is usually at a cooler temp then the gasses. This change of temp causes the condensation process. Any condensation is designed to drain back into the oil pan along with any oil blow by. Once these collections hit hot oil which in an operating engine is over 200F, hot enough to turn water back into a vapor, it is cycled back through the ventilation system in efforts to burn it off though the air intake. Not such a good process but I cant think of a better way to keep emissions down.
Now you ask, What about the R&D kit designed to yield the same results? What R&D did was actual follow the process of refining or recycled emissions. They opted that instead of stopping the refining process, they would help to improve the odds of ventilation by adding a crank case ventilation bypass. Allowing more volume to tap off from the vent box. This allows a large part of the hot gasses to escape away from the refining route with out interfering with the oil catch can and oil return ability. So you ask, Then why does the OCMS collect more residue? Because it stops the oil and vapor refining process. The R&D collects less because its venting away from the process to dramatically reduce the amount of vapor running thru the engine refining process. Does either kit truly fix the problem, NO!. The problem I believe is the piss poor ring quality on the 250 motor. The true fix is minimizing the blow by past the rings. Until this is done then gas and carbon will still get in the oil and you will still want to maintain an accelerated oil change regiment.
Another issue that I have not covered is the carbon collected in the oil making oil changes still an often and un-avoidable task for both kits. The OCMS or R&D Kit can not eliminate the carbon blow-by that comes along with the gasses blow by or its effect on the oil. The R&D kit helps some with this by its bypass of the crank case vent box but does not eliminate it. Carbon blow by is heavier and collects easily in the oil reservoir making your oil black, usually something the oil filter will help with but still making oil filter changes more frequent. So your still up against the wall on both kits to maintain your oil often along with the oil filter.
Lets move forward with the collection of hazardous material. OCMS has made the draining of collected fluids easier but still a maintenance issue even with the R&D kit. OCMS has made a easy valve at the bottom of the catch can to drain unwanted collected material verses can removal. Mind you that you owe it to everyone to find a proper and eco friendly way of disposing this collected material. I suggest you dump it into your oil pan that you use to collect used oil in for recycling. I use a 5 Gal gas can to collect oil to be recycled.
So one would think Iím all against this OCMS kit. Not true at all. I find it to truly be a Recreational rider friendly part and cost effective way to dramatically reduce the contaminates from collecting within the oil. Sure it requires more maintenance but Ive found that I now can go safely to about 20 to 30 hrs using the OCMS kit. I chose 20 hours as my riding style is extremely hard on these motors. I also recommend it strongly to those who ride in salt water often. The kit catches the salt water vapor along with other minerals from salt water from being refined with in the engine which help tremendously with avoiding engine corrosion.
Maintenance with the kit is simple as part of your end of riding maintenance. Just be sure to not forget about emptying the catch reservoir. Once you get the hang of the draining process then its easy.
Pic of the kit installed.

Donít be a bone head like me. I had the bung welded and after I installed the can found that the spot I picked actually blocks the belt tensioner. lol

I want to take a moment to thank the two guys who came out with this small but useful kit. These two guys worked together to develop and produce a helpful part for others like them-selfs. Watercraft is a recreational hobby to them and this was one of their garage projects that came to light and actually helped people. So from me and many others, Thank You Erin and Dave, the founders of the OCMS Kit.
I was wrong and I see it now.