Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

HELP with vehicle diagnosis

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry that seems to start shaking at low speeds, and is real bad at high speeds. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel and in the seat and can be viewed by watching the passenger seat, when noone is in it. The passenger seat shakes bad.

All four tires have been replaced, so that is not it. The tires have been rotated...as a side note.

The brakes rotors need to be replaced as the car shakes under braking and has for quite some time. I have ordered some drilled/slotted rotors and replacement pads, since this is my tow vehicle.

Is it possible the brake pads rubbing on the warped rotors can cause the vibration? I have had bad rotors before but only felt a vibration under braking...not normal driving.

Any thoughts?

--Jeremy

Banned User

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    I have a 2007 Toyota Camry that seems to start shaking at low speeds, and is real bad at high speeds. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel and in the seat and can be viewed by watching the passenger seat, when noone is in it. The passenger seat shakes bad.

All four tires have been replaced, so that is not it. The tires have been rotated...as a side note.

The brakes rotors need to be replaced as the car shakes under braking and has for quite some time. I have ordered some drilled/slotted rotors and replacement pads, since this is my tow vehicle.

Is it possible the brake pads rubbing on the warped rotors can cause the vibration? I have had bad rotors before but only felt a vibration under braking...not normal driving.

Any thoughts?

--Jeremy
    My Dodge has suffer from this so many times For whatever reason the OEM rotors overheat and warp only when pulling a heavy load(Boat,trailer,Etc..) I can turn the rotors and replace the brake pads and 10,000 miles later the same thing comes back.. I have two friends with the same issues..
    I would guess the Camry's braking system was never meant to tow.

Alex

The rotors should only cause a vibration when the brakes are applied. When the brakes are not being applied a warped rotor will push the caliper piston back in and provide the clearance for it not to rub. Did the problem start all at once? Even if the tires are new you could have a shifted belt, a bubble or a wheel weight may have come off. Also check the lugs to make sure it's not a loose wheel.

Dont judge me...
    Front end alignment problem?

Drive axle is probably bent. I had that happen on a Accord and did the same thing and if you hit a certain speed it would even smooth out for maybe a couple seconds but for the most part I kept blaming tires, rotors, same things. I toke it to a shop and they jacked the front end and put it in gear and showed me the front axle coming out of the tranny how it wasn't turning smooth, it would turn in a oval pattern and that was it. I wouldn've never guessed. I don't know how it happened or what caused it but it just started doing it. I could have done it but I didn't know what it was. Put the front end on car stands and put the car in gear and check the drive axles, it will stick out like a sore thumb if one is bent. If you decide to do it be careful though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post

Any thoughts?

--Jeremy
    does it do it when you first drive or does it take some time for the shake to develop.

does it feel like its stronger in the steering wheel then in other parts of the car.

do you hear any noise when you turn one way or the other?

does turning the car either way make the vibration stronger?

you notice a loss in gas millage?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by inothome View Post
    The rotors should only cause a vibration when the brakes are applied. When the brakes are not being applied a warped rotor will push the caliper piston back in and provide the clearance for it not to rub. Did the problem start all at once? Even if the tires are new you could have a shifted belt, a bubble or a wheel weight may have come off. Also check the lugs to make sure it's not a loose wheel.
    I didn't think it was the rotors, but I have some new rotors on the way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YJSONLY View Post
    Front end alignment problem?
    It is possible. This 07 Camry was purchased in March of 06...yes, only a week out. I probably had one of the first ones in the state/region. The problem started sometime around the first of the year in 2007. I took it to two different Toyota dealerships where they said the problem could not be fixed. They felt the problem, but did not know what was causing it. I pretty much gave up on it and just delt with it. The wife started driving it primarily, so it fell away from my mind, and I never thought about it until I drove it again. Supposedly, they checked the alignment a couple times. They replaced the front tires once, I replaced all 4 tires once.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    does it do it when you first drive or does it take some time for the shake to develop. If you concentrate on it, you can feel it all the time. When driving slow, the wobble/vibration is slow, and respectively when speeding up. Also, there are times when the vibration comes and goes, and I am not sure it is related to speed/accelleration, but I have noticed the problem disappearing for a few seconds at a time.

does it feel like its stronger in the steering wheel then in other parts of the car. Absolutly feel it in the steering wheel, driver's seat and can see the passenger's seat vibrating.

do you hear any noise when you turn one way or the other? Nothing audible, although MAYBE when driving extremly slow you MAY can hear the wobble-wobble, not vibrating at that point.

does turning the car either way make the vibration stronger? Do not remember vibration during turns/curves

you notice a loss in gas millage?
    I don't think it has effected mileage. I can usually go 425-450 miles on a tank (17/18 gallons, I think, but not definit)

--jeremy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    My Dodge has suffer from this so many times For whatever reason the OEM rotors overheat and warp only when pulling a heavy load(Boat,trailer,Etc..) I can turn the rotors and replace the brake pads and 10,000 miles later the same thing comes back.. I have two friends with the same issues..
    I would guess the Camry's braking system was never meant to tow.

Alex
    4 cyl...You are probable right. It was not meant to tow. I think I remember researching the 3-seater and trailer weight and verifying the towing weight for the car. I think it is OK.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information