Did I get ripped off or scammed?

I just bought a new waverunner from Motion Enterprises of Hammonton NJ. The sales guy told me that there was one of the 06 gprs I wanted in stock. After everything was done, he said it was sold. They told me that more of the gprs I wanted were coming in early this week, yet on my paperwork, they didnt put a VIN no. My buddy works for a Kawasaki dealer in Daytona FL and said that if there were skis ordered, that they would have a copy of the VIN no's on an invoice, and an exact date they were being delivered. I started this process last friday, and I called today and they said it will be in before the weekend, but they still dont have a vin no, and no exact date. I am thinking of cancelling my order and taking my chances somewhere else...

what were your expereinces with buying a new ski... is this the procedure? Do they not have a VIN until delivery? I am confused and angry... any information would help... thanks

also my buddy said that without a vin no means that it hasnt even been ordered, and I may not see it til the fall, or whenever they get to it...

+1
    I use to be a yamaha dealer (25 years) and they do NOT send vin# Prior to shipment of skis they send Paper work a day or two after they ship ski's. This is to be sure that the warehouse doesn,t screw up shipping wront ski. Warehouse notifies yamaha what vin # were shipped to dealer then yamaha sends paper work out in a day or to dealer . the dealer is on the up and up IMO

If the price was right and you don't need it for a week.. why not wait? what do you have to loose?

They may even be doing a dealer trade, getting your GPR from another dealer and trading them something the other dealer needs. Many dealers in the midwest follow this practice.

+1
    plus it's a real business with real people to take action against. If this were happening in a deal with 1 personal individual selling it, then i would be worried. That dealership has a lot more to lose than we (as buyers) do.

I think you will be fine.

If i ever get scammed, then i would rather a dealer do it than one person anyway because there is a lot more to be sued for. LOL.......

So Pray that they do screw you and have yourself 2 or 3 GPR's when its all done.

my only thought on this is:

There is almost a yamaha dealer in EVERY town. If you don't like there service, go down the road. There are plenty of 06 GPRs down here, so i don't think you need to worry about someone getting it. I think you'll be very pleased with it when you do get it.

thanks guys. I never bought anything new before, besides my trucks and paintball guns. I am just very skeptical about it. They already had the GPR on order and when it comes in, it will be mine. I know that today is the last day to cancel the order legally, and I was thinking of cancelling it for a more reputable dealer. I had another friend who had his VIN no for his hayabusa a month before he got it. I guess I should calm down and wait patiently, i just hope it comes here before it gets cold again....

the owner of the dealership assured me that everything will work out. there is no gaurantee of when the ski will get here, and without a title, i can still back out of the deal at any time. i will give it a couple weeks.

Thread Information