Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Dilemma

Fun Dilemma

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading these posts now for quite some time and finally decided to post in hopes of getting some good insight from veterans on here or those with expertise.

I am from Ontario, Canada and will be attending the Toronto Boat Show in Janaury in the hopes of purchasing a 2009 waverunner. I have narrowed it down to a yamaha product based on research, advice from other and owners people in the field and overall fit and product finish. Having that part narrowed down I am now trying to focus on what product I will purchase. I am looking at two models, the FX SHO and the new FZS. I know some info is posted on these products but looking to see if there is any new opinions etc....believe me I know how to use the search function and if thats the best response you can give perhaps you can save me the pleasure of reading it. I hope for genuine feedback and honest advice for those willing to take the time.

I want a 3 seater ski for the versatility and being a bigger guy 6'3", 240 I think the extra room is nice when ridding solo or with two. I have yet to see a picture of a 2009 yamaha 3 seater with 3 actually on it. I think its posisble but would be really comfy.

I also want great speed and acceleration. I do not plan on racing but would like to be one of the fastest on the lake. I am not looking to carve buoys all day long and want something that rides well in different water conditions.

Right now I see it as the FX SHO is an all round model, good speed and acceleration and lots of nice features. The FZS is really the same size but the hull gives a bit more aggressive ride and this model doesn't have some of the nice things like cruise or no wake.

So the big question, if you were in my place what model would you choose and why.

I am not looking to mod anything as it voids the warranty and I am new to this sport as well...first ski.

On an aside though, out of curiosity is there anything you or a dealer could do to a new 2009 ski to get a little extra horse power. I see suggestions on here for ECU codes, new term for me and different mods...but in general it seem very pricing to get a few extra miles per hour. The reason I ask is it seems like the general opinion is the new 2009 skis are very detuned and have much more horse power potential. I would assume its not an easy programming fix but being new maybe it is.

Anyways, this has been a bit long winded and I thank anyone in advance for their insight.

Best wishes

Sean

Not seen the FZ series Yamaha yet here, but as a SHO owner since February this year I'm still very pleased with it.

It's given no problem in 50 hours and GPS's at 67.3 mph.......or did at 20 hours.

If you ride it hard it does go through the regular fuel/gas........I used 57 litres/15 U.S. gallons in 104 kilometers/64.6 miles recently, but it was a very quick ride 2 up in heavy chop.
    Using the 'cruise assist' at 5000rpm or less in smooth conditions my guess is it would use close to 1/2 the fuel as above.

I don't use the 'cruise' a lot unless it's calm......I feel slightly 'out of control' with it on in choppy conditions.......but it is a handy feature.

The 'no wake' mode is much slower than our 6 knot limit here in various parts, so does not get used much.

As you are tall may I suggest if you fancy the SHO Cruiser take a test ride......I'm not big, about 5'9" tall and have never been in love with the seat......the bump behind my butt does not let me move back to where I would prefer to ride.....okay two up but not good IMHO one up riding hard. I can of course move right behind it (the bump) but then I'm too far back.
    We have a girl SHO owner here shorter than I am and very slim and she loves the 'Cruiser' seat.

Hope some of this helps your choice. Good luck.

+1
    Im going to suggest the sho, i have done tons of the same research for some time now... but after it all, what i seem to gather is the sho will be slightly more stable, when your looking at teh big picture....

also i DONT suggest the cruiser seat, its very confining, if your a big guy, you wont care for it, you want to be able to move about the seat and stretch out, dont get the cruiser seat. good luck to you

you could get a vx sport for a first ski, pretty bullet proof, stable and a plain fun machine, top speed about 53. you will save 5000.00 also over a fx sho cruiser, which is almost enough to buy 2.... plus gas will be easier on you, 120 miles on a 15 gallon tank is no problem at all...and likely more, i heard people getting 140..

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    go with the SHO......flat outside chine of the hull gives more stability if ur gonna be having passengers.....and the cruise control/no wake mode is sweet

I have a sho, so obviously I am a little impartial. I have nothing but good things to say about this machine. I also use this solo, as well as with one and two passengers. I ride on the bay as well as offshore. The reason why I purchased this machine was because of its versatility. I also did a ton of research and the decision was clear as to which machine I would get. I have ridden other ski's including the competetors and to me there is no match. I was a little disappointed when I found out about the fz's, because they came out shortly after I bought mine and they are the next best thing, but in reality for my uses the sho is the best fit. Good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by the gos View Post
    It's given no problem in 50 hours and GPS's at 57.3 mph.......or did at 20 hours.
    Do you mean 67.3 mph? I ride at Lake of the Ozarks, MO which is known for being a very rough lake. No better bike than the SHO for these conditions. Takes the rough awesome and still carves up the smooth stuff nicely with a good top speed. I've GPS'd 67 completely stock with 5 hours on it. I now have 47 hours. NO ISSUES.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Do you mean 67.3 mph? I ride at Lake of the Ozarks, MO which is known for being a very rough lake. No better bike than the SHO for these conditions. Takes the rough awesome and still carves up the smooth stuff nicely with a good top speed. I've GPS'd 67 completely stock with 5 hours on it. I now have 47 hours. NO ISSUES.
    67.3 it is......I made a typo......have fixed it......thanks for the heads up.

+1
    i saw that speed last night after i posted, but my puter shut down for upgrades, i was going to ask teh speed thing to, i knew that a sho was not just 3-4 mph faster than a vx...had to be a typo!

+1
    Im a gpr rider , but , I rode a sho last summer and it is a great ski, what it does is turn very precise ,no skipping sideways or spinning out, the punch is there down low but is was kinda bland to me on the top end (remember I ride gpr) overall it was a great ride and much better than the gpr in the rough, dont plan on outrunning rxp-x or rxt-x but plan on owning a very smooth reliable go anywhere ski that wont throw you off or do any stupid stuff ( like my ultra 150)...Im planning on getting a fzr if I sell the ultra...fzr will be more of a racer than the sho.hope this helps.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, get the one that has the features you want. As far as soupin it up a bit you're at the right place, just click the link http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...cPath=16_82_95

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information