Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pwc tracker locater

Heard today on a BBC RADIO,interview about a guy called jeremy in INDONESIA,who was racing round an island with 4 others,2 returned jeremy and 1 other did not,that was 6 weeks ago.DESPITE air search nothing found,no skis no persons,his wife made the point that despite 2 mobile calls(he was takeing on water)he was not found,and that a tracker locator which can cost about 100 dollars or so could have been activated if these were fitted as standard,i think that this is a must for off shore skiing,my thoughts to this guys family,anybody know of these tracker locators,

+1
    I couldnt agree more. There is more details on the person that is lost here
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77377

If he would have called 911, the GPS in his phone would have automatically sent his coordinates. This is at least in the US. But I think that CDMA, WB-CDMA and UMTS all do that anywhere in the world. It may ne that the country he was in didn't have the capability to interpret the location information. In the US, even a phone that has suspended service can dial 911 and get through... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    If he would have called 911, the GPS in his phone would have automatically sent his coordinates. This is at least in the US. But I think that CDMA, WB-CDMA and UMTS all do that anywhere in the world. It may ne that the country he was in didn't have the capability to interpret the location information. In the US, even a phone that has suspended service can dial 911 and get through... Ron
    ye right uk is the same,be good to have tho as a back up,should the phone fail

There are lots of different trackers out there. Some send out radio signals to be picked up from land, sea, or air search teams, some send out radio signals to satellites, and some do both. They go from fairly inexpensive to really, really expensive. Same goes for size (small to large).

Here are some EPIRBs: http://www.marinewholesales.com/en/s...FQwNGgodyHR5jQ

I use The Spot. It's an inexpensive way to get help and to be tracked. The device costs about $150. Annual subscription is $100. Options are $7/year for insurance (pays for helicopter or whatever comes to get you) and $50/year for tracking feature (you can tell it to transmit your location every 10 minutes and people can view your track on Google Maps). This is inexpensive, but is also not as robust (communications-wise) as some of the EPIRBs. It is also strictly a satellite device (a Coast Guard helicopter cannot track in on the device itself). I could give lots more info, but you can go to the site and look at it: http://www.findmespot.com/en/.

BTW, I used The Sport during a cross-country bicycle ride I did last month. It worked great!

As an offshore rider, this really hit home with me. We cross a channel to an island ~ 24 miles. If I break down, I can see it being VERY sketchey! I did once, ~ 4 miles from the island, and it was NOT fun. Luckily one of the guys behind me slowed when he saw me stopped. I could have easily gotten left behind. As a group, we have really learned from this tradigy, and now employ a "Wingman" strategy. Nobody gets left behind, and we mean NOBODY! I carry a VHF radio on me, and just the other day purchased a second gps for on the body. That way IF I get tossed from my ski, and cant get to it, I have my VHF radio, as well as a GPS to call for help. NO good if your gear is on your ski, and you are off. I personally have been hesitant to ride much after this story came out. I feel for his family, as it could and should have been avoided, had his friends waited for him, and all returned together.
    I believe the SPOT is on sale, for $99.00 as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    As an offshore rider, this really hit home with me. We cross a channel to an island ~ 24 miles. If I break down, I can see it being VERY sketchey! I did once, ~ 4 miles from the island, and it was NOT fun. Luckily one of the guys behind me slowed when he saw me stopped. I could have easily gotten left behind. As a group, we have really learned from this tradigy, and now employ a "Wingman" strategy. Nobody gets left behind, and we mean NOBODY! I carry a VHF radio on me, and just the other day purchased a second gps for on the body. That way IF I get tossed from my ski, and cant get to it, I have my VHF radio, as well as a GPS to call for help. NO good if your gear is on your ski, and you are off. I personally have been hesitant to ride much after this story came out. I feel for his family, as it could and should have been avoided, had his friends waited for him, and all returned together.
    I believe the SPOT is on sale, for $99.00 as well.
    The wingman idea is perfect imo! I still need to pickup a vhf radio.

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    The wingman idea is perfect imo! I still need to pickup a vhf radio.
    Couldnt agree more,we have adopted this arangement recently as it works full stop.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    ...I still need to pickup a vhf radio.
    Look for something like the Standard Horizon HX850S.

It has the GPS built into the radio, and with the DSC capability, it sends the GPS location info directly to other vessels, and the Coast Guard, when you press the red HELP button. No need to spell out your GPS coordinates, just press the button.

In fact, don't buy any VHF radio that does not have DSC (Digital Selective Calling). The dash mount VHF radios on the market almost all have DSC, but they need to be connected to a separate GPS unit in order to be able to send your location info when you press the HELP button.

While some of the hand held VHF radios now have DSC, most of those do not have the GPS part built in. These DSC only models can send the digital request for help (your MMSI) , but there wiill be no GPS position info sent along, so the Coast Guard won't know where you are, just who you are.

For those portable DSC radios without built-in GPS, the industry recommendation is to manually key in your current GPS location every couple of hours, so if you do need to call for help, the transmitted location info isn't too stale. I don't think anybody would actually do this manual location updating, so my recommendation is to only buy hand held VHF that has both DSC and GPS built in.

The HX850S also floats, which is a good thing for a hand held marine radio. Why don't they all float?

Only downsides are that it is not a bright color, so it can be hard to find once you drop it in the water and it floats away (why don't they make it bright yellow?)

The charging cradle is not water resistant, so you cannot keep it charged while riding. I haven't actually tried charging it while the stand is wet, but the stand is clearly not designed for rough riding.

The 850 is not fragile, but is also not particularly tough. My first one the case cracked from modest unrestrained bouncing around in the storage bin.
    Cracked case = water intrusion = not working
    Get a no-questions asked extended warranty

Carry it in something padded, if you can. I keep mine strapped to my PFD, so I will be able to call for help, even if the ski is no longer nearby, or usable.

+1
    Thats a very nice setup!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information