Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GP recall

GP recall

I have talked to 2 different dealers about the ride plate recall. The first one i talked to seemed to know what he was talking about. But he is the only one there that works on watercraft. So I called the place I bought it from. The guy there said that he thought it was a intake bracket up grade. Can someone please verify what is changed.

Sorry for it being so long.

Thanks Ryan

+1
    2003 had a pump shoe recall...im going through that fix as i type..yamaha is fixing no charge...pump shoe was pulling out of the hull

They are going to fix it. But I want to know which one knows what he is talking about. I am a automotive technican. I know how the warranty recall process works. They have a book that has nothing but recalls for the different models. The only reason Im asking is because one dealer cant get to it until later, the other can get to it next week. If I could find out what the recall intails, I would perform it myself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    They are going to fix it. But I want to know which one knows what he is talking about. I am a automotive technican. I know how the warranty recall process works. They have a book that has nothing but recalls for the different models. The only reason Im asking is because one dealer cant get to it until later, the other can get to it next week. If I could find out what the recall intails, I would perform it myself.
    you do not want to do that mess by yourself, you will wish that you had had it done for free. The 2003 GPRs had pump shoes blowing out of the bottom of the hull, and Yamaha has to fix every one of them.

This was a mear oversight by yamaha going to an smc hull and going 100cc's bigger all at the same time in 2003. There was not enough R&D to see that one coming because it was happening after several hours had been put on these boats. Long story short-----Too much power, not enough reinforcement in the back end where the vibration is the greatest.

You can always do it yourself but the downfall to that is ---if you mess it up and then decide you want the warranty fix, they may not touch it.

ask the dealers for some customer names that they have peformed the hull repair for and give them a call

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    It's a piece of cake to do this recall, even easier if you call a friend and split a couple of six's. You could wait and have the dealer do it, or do it yourself and know it's done right. You will need:

Set of upgrade brackets from Yamaha
    10mm & 12mm sockets and torque wrench
    Screwdriver or nut driver for clamps
    3M 5200 silicone
    Heat gun
    Medium size chisel
    Hammer & block of wood
    Scrap bit of aluminum or other metal to use as heat shield
    Acetone
    Service manual (for torque values)

- Remove seat
    - Remove battery and fire extinguisher
    - Remove battery box and lay electric box over engine
    - Remove bungie holding down waterbox
    - Loosen clamps on all exhaust hoses from waterbox to outlet and - remove hoses and sound suppression
    - Disconnect water supply and siphon hoses from fittings on transom and move out of way
    - Move any other loose wires, etc, that might melt as out of the way as possible
    - Remove bolts underneath the ski on pump shoe, clean, then reinsert a few turns so they're in solidly but still sticking out
    - Look for the brass inserts on the inside of the boat - they'll be the "pegs" right next to the hump of the pump shoe with the green goop on them
    - Use the scrap aluminum to make a heat shield around the steering and trim cables and speedo sensor wire
    - Here's where having a friend comes really in hand - have one person heat the green goop on the inserts until they start to bubble, then immediately hit the bolt in that insert with the hammer and block of wood. It may take a couple heat/whacks, but the green goop and insert should pretty much come up in one piece. Use the chisel to clean up the remaining goop, then move onto the next insert adjusting the heat shield as needed.
    - Pre-fit the inserts to make sure they sit level, grind as needed taking care to leave the raised hexagons intact
    - Clean up the area where the new inserts will go with acetone
    - Apply 5200 to the entire mating surface of the new bracket, put the bracket in place, insert both bolts then hand tighten, then torque and torque again. Leave the 5200 that squishes out to help seal and hold the bracket.
    - Repeat with the second bracket
    - Let cure for 24 hours before reassembling if you want to save yourself making a mess, let cure 72 hours before riding

sw

thanks for the write up. I might takle it this weekend.

+1
    any issues on the 04??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd
    any issues on the 04??
    Nope.

+1
    and dont forget to use wood or fiberglass block under center of aluminum bar tying bungs togather..if you dont the bungs will pull straight down and the shoe will rob your speed and leak water into hull.....been there done that......the wood or fiberglass will brace against hull with aluminum bar on top,so that it cant pull down.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information