Freezing Temps W/O Coolent~Your Opinion Pls

Just finished removing the RPlate ('06 RXP) for shipment to Jim for machine work.

Completely drained the Closed Loop Coolant (approx. 5 quarts)

Wondering if unit is OK to leave outdoors in freezing temps for a couple weeks with no Antifreeze (or anything else) in the Block, Coolant Pump or any other part of the Closed Loop Cooling system ?

All other aspects of 4-Tec Winterization were previously done 4 weeks ago and unit was previously outside in freezing temps. with no problems.

Your opinions pls......

David

+1
    I would say yes. Because the coolant is a used as a conductor of heat. Its only job is to transfer heat from the block/engine to the radiator/ride plate.

But im sure others will chime in on there opinions.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    ur fine... dont worry ur good to go

if it was winterized properly and coolant was injected into the exhaust and intercooler... then there's nothing that can freeze, even if u drain the whole block and leave it empty

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    ur fine... dont worry ur good to go

if it was winterized properly and coolant was injected into the exhaust and intercooler... then there's nothing that can freeze, even if u drain the whole block and leave it empty
    Yes, 100% Antifreeze was poured into the upper (outlet) copper tube of the I/C and 10oz. of 100% Antifreeze was poured into the rubber tube from the same copper I/C outlet which feeds the Exhaust Manifold.
    (by the shop manual instructions)

This was *after* 50/50 Antifreeze (approx. 2 gallons) was pumped through the flush fitting in the Jet Pump well throughout the Open Loop Cooling system with the engine running and being continuously fogged through the Throttle Body. Fuel already had Fuel Stabilizer added so it circulated through the Fuel System and Injectors.
    Fuel Rail was removed and Intake Valves were fogged as well after shutdown.

At this time, there is *no* Antifreeze in the Closed Loop at all and the RPlate is removed. I left the RPlate inlet and outlet tubes stuck out though the holes in the Hull where the RPlate fittings would normally be.

Logically, I think it's OK, just wanted to get some other opinions since I never left a 4-stroke engine block without Antifreeze in it in freezing conditions.

as long as the tiny bit of coolant that is left in the engine is the water/antifreeze solution you're fine. can't think of anyway that you could have gotten straight water in there after removing the plate, but if you did, that's the only way it would be a problem.

+1
    Just make sure you plug any open hoses..You dont want little critters making home in your ski...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Just make sure you plug any open hoses..You dont want little critters making home in your ski...
    Ha ha, very good

I thought of that as well and pushed both RPlate hoses through the Hull openings. Both hoses had rubber stoppers inserted tightly as well.

I had a nest of hornets make their nest in an XPL and few years ago

Thread Information