Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any experience with buying a 3rd party laptop hard drive from eBay?

I just got a Dell Latitude D620, but the hard drive is crap. I am looking to get a 320GB drive from eBay, but I'm worried that since I'm not buying it from Dell, it will not be compatible. Also, I think the largest hard drive Dell makes for this is 100GB, so I'm a little concerned that the motherboard won't recognize and use all 320GB. At least if I do get it and it doesn't work, the listing says the guy offers a 30-day money-back gauruntee

+1
    About 2 years ago, I purchased a new hard drive for my old Dell 8200 off Ebay. It still works fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMike View Post
    I just got a Dell Latitude D620, but the hard drive is crap. I am looking to get a 320GB drive from eBay, but I'm worried that since I'm not buying it from Dell, it will not be compatible. Also, I think the largest hard drive Dell makes for this is 100GB, so I'm a little concerned that the motherboard won't recognize and use all 320GB. At least if I do get it and it doesn't work, the listing says the guy offers a 30-day money-back gauruntee

If you care about your warranty, you may want to ask Dell first. They keep serial numbers of the HD thats in it.

I got it used and with no warranty
    Posted via Mobile Device

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I'm running 500 gig in my PS3(its SATA laptop drive) from eBay with no issues. If you are worried be sure to purchase a drive with the same interface(SATA, ATA etc) and rpms compatability should be no issue then.

+1
    I got it used and with no warranty
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Just about all new laptops within the last 2 years are compatible with all new drives for notebooks. I believe they're all pretty much SATA, 2.5" but if I'm not mistaken, 1.8" will work fine also. If you're really uncomfortable, Dell should provide you the information you need for free. If they don't, I'm sure you can find the spec sheets for your notebook by looking at the model number on the bottom of the notebook. I've replaced a few drives on differnet notebooks using parts bought off eBay without any problems. Hope this helps.

ok, this makes me feel better about it. Its a really nice laptop. It is rugged to last my high school days, its made of aluminum and magnesium, its lighter and thinner than my current HP, and the battery life is great. plus running XP with 2gigs of RAM should give me good performance (more than my HP running Vista with 2gigs of RAM) and 320GB hard drive from eBay is needed for what i store (my current 160GB is barely sufficient)

Each time I buy a new drive I like to do a full install so that I have at least 2 or more drives that I can boot each PC from. I keep all my application programs & passwords in a download directory and copy that over to the new drive via the network, then reinstall the apps.

You might want to look at Dell's web site because I remember problems on some laptops with drives larger than 160-Gb. The problem (no boot) didn't show up until a certain amount of space was used... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Each time I buy a new drive I like to do a full install so that I have at least 2 or more drives that I can boot each PC from. I keep all my application programs & passwords in a download directory and copy that over to the new drive via the network, then reinstall the apps.

You might want to look at Dell's web site because I remember problems on some laptops with drives larger than 160-Gb. The problem (no boot) didn't show up until a certain amount of space was used... Ron
    what should i search for? i know that the laptop has a core 2 duo 1.83 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, and i have to reset the BIOS by taking the CMOS battery out (previous owner left the admin password on and forgot what it is ). man, i can build a computer (IT Essentials high school major, building a computer was a recent lab, and me and my friend working with me were the only ones who had a problem ) but I have major concerns with this.

This summer I replaced the 100-Gb drive in my Latitude with a 250-Gb WD Scorpio drive. It ran fine until it got about half full, then wouldn't boot. I stuck in the 100-Gb drive and it booted right up. I connected the 250-Gb drive to a PCMCIA adapter and it passed Scandisk (took over a day), so the media was Ok. I copied my new data to the old drive, formatted the new drive and reloaded XP-Pro. Then I reinstalled the new drive. Again, it worked great until it became about half full, and wouldn't boot. This happened a total of 3 times. I finally put the new drive in my Optiplex and it has been working great ever since. Right now, I've got less than 30-Gb free, so I know that the media is not the problem. BTW, I put another new 250-Gb drive in my son's Inspiron and it did the same thing after only using 40-Gb. I connected it to my laptop, defragged it and it's working again. I did look on Dell's support page and read about laptops not running right with anything over 160-Gb, but I never did find anything from Dell saying that the BIOS was the limiting factor. Anyway, Microcenter here in Columbus has the 2.5" 250-Gb WD Scorpio drives for $89. Not a bad deal... Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information