+1

Long Beach to Catalina Race is on! July 7th, 8th & 9th

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=69351

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REDONDO BEACH, CALIFORNIA – March 28, 2006 - RPM Racing Enterprises announced today the plans and schedule for the 2006 APBA Offshore National Championship Long Beach 2 Catalina & Back PWC Race. Three separate racing events will comprise the Long Beach Power Fest which will take place over the weekend of July 7th, 8th & 9th and are an integral part of the City of Long Beach’s summer long Sea Festival. In addition to the very fast Personal Water Crafts on Saturday afternoon the Long Beach Power Fest will feature the 58th Annual Long Beach to Catalina Water Ski Race on Saturday morning, and the 75th Annual Offshore Power Boat Challenge on Sunday.

Ross Wallach, president of RPM Racing Enterprises said, “We’re very excited to be promoting two of these three events, the PWC race and the Offshore Power Boat Challenge, and being able to work with everyone involved to make this unbelievable event become a reality. The combining of forces offers a plethora of new opportunities to make this entire weekend an overwhelming success”. “Because of the success and accolades heaped on the recent Mark Hahn Memorial Havasu 300, we have asked Mike Follmer, the racer that raised the bar for PWC racing, to come on board as Executive Producer to ensure that this PWC race rises to the new standard he has set and becomes a sustainable event for the APBA and RPM Racing Enterprises in the future,” added Wallach.

This race for the APBA Offshore National Championship will depart from in front of the Queen Mary in Long Beach with a land rush start at 1:00 PM following the 58th Annual Long Beach to Catalina Ski Race that features water skiers being pulled at speeds in excess of 100 MPH to Catalina Island and back. The PWC’s will proceed from the start out through the Queens Gate entrance to the Los Angeles Harbor into the Pacific Ocean on a straight line across the channel to Catalina Island where they will have to negotiate around a three masted schooner with a large marker flying overhead that will be anchored one mile offshore. With helicopters overhead guiding and filming the event, the fleet of PWC’s will proceed back to Long Beach along the same route they just traversed the channel on to reach the finish line just off the stern of the Queen Mary. The entire event, as well as the other two events this Long Beach Offshore Power Fest weekend will be filmed for later editing and broadcast on the new, national Water Channel. The race is also expected to garner the largest and most diversified media coverage ever for boat racing because of the popularity of the three completely different types of races being run and the importance the City of Long Beach is placing on this weekend of events.

The renewed national interest in PWC racing and the emergence of the American Power Boat Association (APBA) as the sanctioning body and driving force in PWC racing have contributed to the promoter’s expectation that over 100 riders will be vying for titles in this race. In addition to the safety equipment required by the APBA rule book, several additional safety items will be required of the racers to insure a safe trip across the channel to Catalina and back, and the United States Coast Guard (USCG) and Long Beach Lifeguards will be providing support for the events. An announcement will be made soon regarding which emergency water service has been contracted with to provide racers with towing and on the water emergency service, as well as the announcement of a host hotel that will serve as race headquarters.

“I am delighted to be working with Ross,” said Follmer from his Fountain Valley office, “and can guarantee everyone involved that I intend to raise the bar even higher with this event to ensure that every racer, fan and sponsor carries away enough memories to last them until next year and I hope to help make this event the premier offshore PWC event for years to come.” Race specifics and entry forms are forthcoming so be ready to enter soon because there will be no race day entries accepted.

All the components are converging to make this weekend of events the most talked about and must participate in extravaganzas of all time. Come to the Long Beach Sea Festival, Long Beach Power Fest, and race in the 2006 APBA Offshore National Championship Long Beach 2 Catalina & Back PWC Race and create your own memories.

+1
    I have never raced. I would like to get involved in this event. I have traveled these waters many times. I was moored outside Avalon Harbor Catalina onetime and was just waking up when a helicopter was chasing the lead boat around the marker bouy for this race what a site!! cigarette racer pulling a skier at high speed better than coffee in the morning. Can someone steer me in the direction to get the info I need to enter. I have ridden my ski to Catalina several times.

Thanks,
    Osidebill

+1
    osidebill,
    You have a bunch of folks on pwctoday that live in that area, and can really help you out with it.

http://www.pwctoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Go check out the first thread!

Welcome to the GH forum!

+1
    Thanks I will also join this forum I see quite a few neighbors. I have just been on the apba website and have downloaded the ijsba rule book and will begin the process of joining. I have found the promoters info and will get an email off. What a great way to spend the weekend I have been to your site great stuff Thanks for the reply

Osidebill

+1
    Thanks to Insandiego:

Here is the first part.
    The official positions for finish with times:
    PositionRiders NameNumberTimeNotes:1Pat Roque77 53:29Overall Winner & New APBA National Champion2Billy Womack33 53:343Lee Phan88 53:504Paul Pham99 54:365Chris Fischetti300 56:156Brian Briscoe37 57:067Alex Morgan7 58:248Kim Bushong777 59:059Brandon Briscoe19 60:3610Cheng Leu411 60:4611Ryan Vanderweel686 60:4712Nick Vanis13 64:30Hard Luck Award13Andy Horning301 67:2014Steve West2 67:5715K.C. Heidler460 68:0016Tom Cruz46 68:3017Brian Lombardi805 68:3118Mark Gerner601 69:0219Tony Beck264 69:3320Rob Blackwell521 74:2321Mike Follmer1 74:5422Chuck Linkes728 79:1623Tom Clarke371 90:0624Don Vaughn747 95:1625Jaime Lopez Jr.123 97:5126Robert Stellhorn811 97:5327Frank Hurbis131 129:5028Fred Stellhorn812 NO TIME(Course Infraction)29John Anick151 DNF30S. Friebe3 DNS

+1
    Was the winner on a Polaris or a Honda ?

Bill if you'r joining pwctoday watch what you say I am currently banned for posting about a ebay seller.(you know who).

I made an inapropriate comment that was directed at a few but was posted over and over and looked like it was directed at all on the forum.

I had my iddiot blocker set so did not read the posts and respond appropriatlly.

Just be carefull what you say.

p.m. me if you need to know who the jokers are that got me banned.

SCOTT...........

+1
    The winner was on a near stock RXP with an air intake. Pat is a good guy and I'm happy for him. I think Womak was on a RXP too.

Thread Information