Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    john zigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,545
    +1
    33

    QUESTION, 800R big bore cyls....

    when you big bore, an 800 / 1200 R cyl there is a sleeve put in correct?? the reason i ask, is i have a 800 cyl here, that is broken on the very bottom ( were it goes down in the case).

    i just want to know, is this still a good core, or is it now a paper weight??

    thanks.

    zig


  2. #2
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Sorry, no sleeve... it has nicasil imbedded into the aluminum. I have had the ears re-welded before on cylinders with a lot of machine work performed. If its just a stock cylinder, then its probably not economically worth it.

    Check with Millenium Technologies. They may be able to fix it or exchange for a useable core.

  3. #3
    john zigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,545
    +1
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Sorry, no sleeve... it has nicasil imbedded into the aluminum. I have had the ears re-welded before on cylinders with a lot of machine work performed. If its just a stock cylinder, then its probably not economically worth it.

    Check with Millenium Technologies. They may be able to fix it or exchange for a useable core.

    thanks for the quick reply. this is what i was afraid of. it is one of the ears broken off, and i DO NOT have the piece that is missing.

    it is a stock cyl. i was just wonering if it was any good for a big bore. ( thinking "maybe" they used a sleeve, and the missing ear was of no concern).

    this will either just become a big paper weight on my desk then, or go in the alum scrap.

    zig

  4. #4
    cfgp927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Posts
    622
    This is still a good core and a good candidate for a sleeve. If you slleve this cylinder it will no longer be nicasil plated (this is what SBT and several other remanufacturers do with their cylinders) If you have someone like Dan Lamey @ DASA do a BB conversion he also sleeves the cylinder, others Bore and re-plate. Depending on what you want to do...you still have a "good" cylinder. Don't have the ears re-rewlded and machined....it's not cost effective.
    JMO.
    Mike

  5. #5
    john zigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,545
    +1
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgp927 View Post
    This is still a good core and a good candidate for a sleeve. If you slleve this cylinder it will no longer be nicasil plated (this is what SBT and several other remanufacturers do with their cylinders) If you have someone like Dan Lamey @ DASA do a BB conversion he also sleeves the cylinder, others Bore and re-plate. Depending on what you want to do...you still have a "good" cylinder. Don't have the ears re-rewlded and machined....it's not cost effective.
    JMO.
    Mike
    OK, thanks mike.

    zig

  6. #6
    vomitspot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    mobile alabama
    Posts
    722
    i send my junk cylinders to sbt on cores that had a good cyl.

  7. #7
    john zigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,545
    +1
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by vomitspot View Post
    i send my junk cylinders to sbt on cores that had a good cyl.
    yeah, i too have done that!! infact, that is exactly what i was going to do with the head from this ski. i may keep it around for that, or see if anyone else wants it for a core, etc.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. questions about big bore
    By mibunkerking in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
  2. cylinder question gp1200r big bore
    By spyder3000gtvr4 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 11:59 PM
  3. big bore questions
    By bow tie klr in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
  4. Big Bore questions
    By MTRHEAD in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-21-2006, 08:44 PM
  5. big bore question?
    By leojr04 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •