Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ride plate holes

Hello, so im a idiot and decided to fill my ride plate holes with epoxy. My question is this... I used a little bit too much epoxy thinking that I can sand it down later but after sanding for about an hour I grew tired and stopped. Now the epoxy is smooth and flush with the ride plate but its on the side of the holes and basically looks sloppy. question is will this affect anything and will this do the trick in maybe gaining .5 mph? Its not the prettiest of jobs I did but wanted to make sure this will not affect the ride or decrease my perfomance rather than gaining. any thoughts would be greatful. Thanks

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk Toilet...Filling the rideplate holes will gain you up to and around 1 MPH..The cleaner the better..I would not think that little bit will effect anything..BUT me personally I would clean it up...

THanks Snoman!! Here are some pics too of it just in case. should I do the intake grate holes as well?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1207081629[1].jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	107290

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1207081630[1].jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	107291

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toilets View Post
    Hello, so im a idiot and decided to fill my ride plate holes with epoxy. My question is this... I used a little bit too much epoxy thinking that I can sand it down later but after sanding for about an hour I grew tired and stopped. Now the epoxy is smooth and flush with the ride plate but its on the side of the holes and basically looks sloppy. question is will this affect anything and will this do the trick in maybe gaining .5 mph? Its not the prettiest of jobs I did but wanted to make sure this will not affect the ride or decrease my perfomance rather than gaining. any thoughts would be greatful. Thanks
    If you have a compressor, get a small die grinder with a 2" brown scotch brite pad and it will sand this down very quickly! It looked so damn good that I completely sanded the entire ride plate! I did this to 2 ski's in about 30 minutes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	die grinder.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	107292  

Unfortunately I dont. I might have to clean it up but will see after the water test on the gps. How do you like your xt-x so far? Im thinking about getting a x after this race season because I have a feeling this 215hp is not really going to hang with them. I will be doing the stock class though so we shall see

+1
    You can do the intake grate holes too but you do not want to use epoxy in them..I had filled mine and had not noticed any gains..BUT i would seal off the sides and front were it bolts to the hull..I had used Right Stuff by Permitex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0094.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	107296  

Gotcha.. Glad I waited to fill those holes. Thanks for your help. Im going to get the right stuff prolly tonight or tomorrow and work on it... and hopefully the ones I already did will do the trick.

+1
    Keep sanding and get them nice and smooth,Use some 80 grit first and finish off with some 220.I've seen that ski before.Whats up Jason

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toilets View Post
    Unfortunately I dont. I might have to clean it up but will see after the water test on the gps. How do you like your xt-x so far? Im thinking about getting a x after this race season because I have a feeling this 215hp is not really going to hang with them. I will be doing the stock class though so we shall see
    Well then go get yourself one for Christmas! A man has GOT to have a compressor - the bigger the better. Larger = more cfm(cubic feet/min) of air, especially for air tools. Seriously, that die grinder is less than $40 with $3 scotch brite pads, spinning at 10,000 rpm it gets the job done quickly and neatly. After applying the Permatex Right Stuff goo, this sander smooths it all out like BUTTA! My ride plates now look like friggin mirrors.

Merry Christmas

since you don't have air tools get an electric plam sander and keep sanding!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information