Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best bang for your buck?

I'm just getting starting with my ski since someone in my family handed me down a 97 GP1200 last summer. It runs great but I want to get more out of it. Where should I start without breaking the wallet and get the most performance? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I would first start out and get a R&D rideplate and R&D auquavein intake grate. Maybe then go with a solas XO prop. These three will be the easiest to install and the best upgrade for your dollar.

Check with addicted I think he had a R&D plate for sale.

Mods maybe we can move this to old school. It will problably get more hits. thanks

Here it is:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77257

Really good price and very good guy.

+1
    if your ok with going into your engine a keyway will help a lot on acceleation.

Thanks guys. Anything else I can start with that wouldn't require lots of knowledge that would help my accel. and top end?

If you are not knowledgable about engines i would stick with things mentioned above. Altezza01 is very knowledgable but he would prob agree with me, puting in a keyway is not easy work. First you would have to get to the stator on the front of your engine. After locating it you would have to rmove the oil pump, front cover, locate the the flywheel, find out you cant get the bolt off so you pull the engine, then take off the bolt, pull the flywheel with a puller then install keyway. Yes very cheap part but too intense. First engine mod I would do would 150psi head, you can get your head shaved or buy an aftermarket head, using removable or interchangable domes to control the amount of compression. This would probably be a good start.

Forgot to mention your ski has very good accel from the factory. You should have no problem getting it up to speed.

Give it time, some of the old school guys will chime in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    If you are not knowledgable about engines i would stick with things mentioned above. Altezza01 is very knowledgable but he would prob agree with me, puting in a keyway is not easy work. First you would have to get to the stator on the front of your engine. After locating it you would have to rmove the oil pump, front cover, locate the the flywheel, find out you cant get the bolt off so you pull the engine, then take off the bolt, pull the flywheel with a puller then install keyway. Yes very cheap part but too intense. First engine mod I would do would 150psi head, you can get your head shaved or buy an aftermarket head, using removable or interchangable domes to control the amount of compression. This would probably be a good start.

Forgot to mention your ski has very good accel from the factory. You should have no problem getting it up to speed.

Give it time, some of the old school guys will chime in.
    +1, the keyway is probably the cheapest, most pain i the butt mod you can do. if your looking for the basic bolt ons listen to krispaintballz

+1
    Here's a good yardstick for modding your GP.

http://extremeteamracing.com/97-99GP1200.htm

+1
    You need to look under the rear of the hull and look at the trim tabs. If they are still attached, they are probably sagging in the middle and are costing you speed and acceleration. Mine broke off 11yrs ago. The 97's came stock with white plastic trim tabs and they are junk. You need to replace them with the aluminum aftermarket versions.

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    You need to look under the rear of the hull and look at the trim tabs. If they are still attached, they are probably sagging in the middle and are costing you speed and acceleration. Mine broke off 11yrs ago. The 97's came stock with white plastic trim tabs and they are junk. You need to replace them with the aluminum aftermarket versions.

+1 forgot all about that......never think about that once you have the aftermarket tabs on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information