carb rebuild kits

Does anybody know what the differnce is between the two rebuild kits for the mikuni 44 SBM. I know I have the "I type" but I was curious as to why the "I" is more expensive. Are the diaphrams different or something?

Maybe I should say why I am asking. A local place here in town says he has them and they are for the Mikuni 38/44/46 SBM carbs. I asked if it works for the I type carbs and he says "This is what we use on the Mikunis". I would hate to go spend money on these and they not work.

they are diferent parts origs check valves etc

yeah, I found a picture of the two after some research on the net and saw the differnce. Thanks for the reply.

Re: carb rebuild kits

From a functional standpoint, most of the internal rebuild parts of the SBN and "I" body carbs are identical. "SBN specific" kits will contain an extra "O" ring and diaphragm because the early SBNs had a different sealing joint between the main carb body and the pump components.... but everything else internally is the same.
    Respectfully, Harry Klemm

Quote Originally Posted by GPRsmartarse
    Does anybody know what the differnce is between the two rebuild kits for the mikuni 44 SBM. I know I have the "I type" but I was curious as to why the "I" is more expensive. Are the diaphrams different or something?

Maybe I should say why I am asking. A local place here in town says he has them and they are for the Mikuni 38/44/46 SBM carbs. I asked if it works for the I type carbs and he says "This is what we use on the Mikunis". I would hate to go spend money on these and they not work.

+1
    The pumps are most certainly different. The diaphrams in the pumps are different. I found that one out the hard way, right before a race!!!

Mark,
    In a sense, we're both half right.
    The smaller "I" bodies used on all 720/782 SD and all 750/800 Kaws share all the same gaskets, diaphragms, etc with the SBNs.

The "I" bodies of the 951SD and GPR/XLL/GP8 are all the large body "I" casting. The large body "I" carbs still share all the float chamber diaphragms and gaskets with the SBN. However, (as you correctly wrote) they have a different bolt pattern for the pump, and larger pump gaskets. ..... my mistake (or momentary brain fade is more correct).
    Respectfully, Harry Klemm

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    The pumps are most certainly different. The diaphrams in the pumps are different. I found that one out the hard way, right before a race!!!

Thread Information