my jet ski starts but only when i prime it

I have a 1994 polaris l750 jet ski. and when i start it it says lopo then flashes red on the led. then the fuel meter starts dropping from full to empty. the only way to start it is to pull of the air filter and prime the cardurators with gas. then it starts right up. i plan today to take it out of the water and clean the fuel filter and check the spark plugs. but if any of u guys have any other ideas please let me know becuase starting it this way is a hassle.

Welcome to the forum!!

Im sure the Polaris gurus will chime in shortly...Good luck..

+1
    Check you battery and charging system. lopor = Low Power in the battery.

it says lopr sorry

ya it says lopr then flashes red then the tank goes from full to empty. i just pulled the filter apart and am cleaning the spark plugs right now

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomhead8 View Post
    I have a 1994 Polaris SL750 jet ski.
    and when i start it it says lopo then flashes red on the led. then the fuel meter starts dropping from full to empty...
    Check the ground connections, especially the battery negative cable at both battery and engine block ends.

Also use an ohm-meter to check inside the electrical box for a solid, zero ohm connection between the Black wires and the battery negative post, and also from the Black wires to the engine casing.

If all those check out, then unplug the MFD, and look for corrosion in the connector or around the MFD pins.

LoPwr means the MFD thinks the battery voltage os low, but the MFD only knows what it sees at the MFD end of the wiring. If there is a bad connection anywhere in the electrical system, then the MFD reading can be incorrect.

Once you have checked all the ground wires and related connections, put the meter in DC volts mode, connected to the two battery posts.

Before the engine starts, you should see about 12.5 volts (12.5 = properly charged battery). If you see anything less than 12.3 volts, the battery is internally weak or needs charging.

Immediately after the engine starts, battery voltage should rise to 14.5 volts, or very close. If it does not rise to 14.x volts, then there is something wrong with the charging system.

Is the fuel tank actually full or empty?

thanks everybody

it works great now starts up every time. thanks for all the advice it really helped. i went out with it today about an hour ago but there were 5 foot swells in the ocean right now alittle to rough for me since im a beginner.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    welcome to the hulk!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

You may need to test your fuel sending unit.

Connect a ohm meter to the leads and see what the reading is. 33=full 240=empty.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomhead8 View Post
    it works great now starts up every time. thanks for all the advice it really helped.
    I went out with it today about an hour ago but there were 5 foot swells in the ocean right now a little too rough for me since I'm a beginner.
    So, what was it that fixed your problems?
    Others who may have similar problems can learn from your success.

We have a forum here dedicated to riding safety. Especially in the ocean, you need to follow prudent safety practices - the downside risks are just too big to do otherwise. A number of other threads have also accumulated in the various forums regarding safety.

If you are unfamiliar with ocean boating, and PWC riding on the ocean, please take the time to read and learn. It is easy to think everything will be OK, until suddenly in an instant it is not OK anymore, and you realize you are in a bad situation, and not prepared for it.

Do you have a riding buddy, an emergency plan if things go wrong, communications and safety gear, and the knowledge to use them?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1

WELCOME!!

This is a great place to get help. Actually the only place for me.... I notice your zip. You in Ca? Great stuf K447. Planing to do some ocean riding this coming year. Good advice to heed for sure. Who sells good telescoping paddles?

Thread Information