Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar

Cold weather cooling system mods?

I finally took the ski out today to try out the VF3 reeds. Outside temp was 54 degrees, or so. Where I was riding was quite shallow, and VERY cold.

Upon startup, it ran typical of an old carbureted car when it is really cold out: Missing, small backfires in rapid succession, etc. Once I let it idle for about 10 minutes or so, it finally wanted to run. On the dream tach, it only came up to 6200 or so... Normally, it runs about 6800. Throttle response was less than stellar. This HAS to be (in my mind) because of the cold water temps. I didn't run it WOT for very long, even though it felt comfortable to do so. I even slowly added extra fuel via the primer, and RPMs dropped. I only had about 45 minutes in the water as it was getting dark quickly. I have been reading threads about cold seizures, and don't want to fall victim to that!

My question is: Can my cooling hoses be rerouted so the engine runs hotter? How about some kind of restrictors in the cooling lines? Or should I just stay out of the cold water?

Keep in mind, everyone: Mine is a twin, and not a triple!

Hey scott just wait til it warms up. I would think it would be a carb problem. It is never good for the reeds on a backfire, nor the carb check valves. I would pull the intake and check both.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    I finally took the ski out today to try out the VF3 reeds. Outside temp was 54 degrees, or so. Where I was riding was quite shallow, and VERY cold.

Upon startup, it ran typical of an old carbureted car when it is really cold out: Missing, small backfires in rapid succession, etc. Once I let it idle for about 10 minutes or so, it finally wanted to run. On the dream tach, it only came up to 6200 or so... Normally, it runs about 6800. Throttle response was less than stellar. This HAS to be (in my mind) because of the cold water temps. I didn't run it WOT for very long, even though it felt comfortable to do so. I even slowly added extra fuel via the primer, and RPMs dropped. I only had about 45 minutes in the water as it was getting dark quickly. I have been reading threads about cold seizures, and don't want to fall victim to that!

My question is: Can my cooling hoses be rerouted so the engine runs hotter? How about some kind of restrictors in the cooling lines? Or should I just stay out of the cold water?

Keep in mind, everyone: Mine is a twin, and not a triple!

+1
    When I was riding in the cold back when I was younger and "warmer", I would put adjustable valves on the pisser lines dumping out the hull.

I would close them up some so the water would stay in the engine longer allowing the engine to reach operating temp.

Here is where a temp gauge comes in handy. Sorry, but I do not remember what temp I was running.

A slight carb adjustment may be needed on non-EFI models. Nothing a twist of the needle/s could not cure.

Also, take your time warming up the engine. The pistons heat up faster than the cylinders expand, so you want to give them enough time to warm up. Cold seizures are a bitch. Along with the scuffed piston skirts/buggered cylinder walls.

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Yeah.. Warmup time is a must At least I realize this.. I am not one to hammer on it when cold...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Information