Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken glove box door, dealer wont warranty it.

About 6 months ago I bought a left over 05 R-12X. With just over 10 hours on the clock I was riding up the river on glass water, and suddenly the Glove box door flies open, rips off and hits me in the chest. It broke the hinge tabs right off the cowl. I took the ski to the shop to get serviced, and they said they couldnt get the door covered by warranty. I told them this was the last Honda they would ever sell me, and told them how I was looking to buy a new Big Red. They said they would try to call Honda and see what they could do. 2 days later they call back to tell me they still could not get it covered, and they would not pay for it either. I still havent gone and picked it up yet, but Im thinking about refusing to pay for the service I had done because I told them to call me about getting the glove box warrantied before they did anything, but the went ahead and serviced it anyway then called A MONTH AFTER I DROPPED IT OFF to tell me about the warranty not covering it. Do I have any options here, besides fixing it myself? Should I contact Honda? What should I do? I currently own 2 Honda 4 wheelers, and have owned countless Honda dirt bikes. I so pissed about the chickenshittedness of this that I wont ever buy one again.

This is just my opinion. I can understand your frustration but at the same time I don't understand how the lid can rip off just from being open unless something hit it or it was cracked. I've had mine bounce open before but it didn't cause any problems and if it did I would have to say it was my fault for not having it locked and on mine, once you turn the knob, it won't open by itself. Anyway I did buy another from www.discounthondaparts.com for about $15. I mounted a boost gauge in the old one and wanted a spare. Good luck with the warranty claim but I don't think you'll get any help. I sure wouldn't give up on Honda because of this. They make great products as you already know. Now the lack of communication from the dealer is whole different problem.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The R12x and F12x glove boxes are very different. I can see where a R12x can tear off since it opens into the wind unlike the F12x which opens the opposite.

As for warranty, I'd would say No because it should of been locked, there is no real way to tell if you did or not.

bottom line, Pay your bills and don't make a big deal out of a $8 part. Its kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill. Personally I'd get over it and move on.

Merry Christmas.

Shawn

LID, GLOVE BOX *NH1* (BLACK)
    81330-HW3-670ZA 001$8.71
    Last edited by NitroShark; 02-20-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    The R12x and F12x glove boxes are very different. I can see where a R12x can tear off since it opens into the wind unlike the F12x which opens the opposite.

As for warranty, I'd wont say No because it should of been locked, there is no real way to tell if you did or not.

bottom line, Pay your bills and don't make a big deal out of a $8 part. Its kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill. Personally I'd get over it and move on.

Merry Christmas.

Shawn

LID, GLOVE BOX *NH1* (BLACK)
    81330-HW3-670ZA 001$8.71
    Its not the door that is broken it is the cowl. It ripped off the hinge tabs that are molded into the cowl itself. The door is perfectly fine. If it was just the door, I would not care, and I would have bought a new one. The cowl however is another story, it has to be removed and replaced and all the steering crap has to come off to do it. They quote an hour and a half labor and $70 for the parts. Could I fix it? Yes very easily. Im not going to though because whether or not is was latched the damn thing should not have ripped off like that. Maybe the plastic is getting dry due to the thing sitting in storage for years or something, I dont know, but I do know what should and should not be MY responsibility.

That whole entire black piece that wraps around the steering stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    About 6 months ago I bought a left over 05 R-12X. With just over 10 hours on the clock I was riding up the river on glass water, and suddenly the Glove box door flies open, rips off and hits me in the chest. It broke the hinge tabs right off the cowl. I took the ski to the shop to get serviced, and they said they couldnt get the door covered by warranty. I told them this was the last Honda they would ever sell me, and told them how I was looking to buy a new Big Red. They said they would try to call Honda and see what they could do. 2 days later they call back to tell me they still could not get it covered, and they would not pay for it either. I still havent gone and picked it up yet, but Im thinking about refusing to pay for the service I had done because I told them to call me about getting the glove box warrantied before they did anything, but the went ahead and serviced it anyway then called A MONTH AFTER I DROPPED IT OFF to tell me about the warranty not covering it. Do I have any options here, besides fixing it myself? Should I contact Honda? What should I do? I currently own 2 Honda 4 wheelers, and have owned countless Honda dirt bikes. I so pissed about the chickenshittedness of this that I wont ever buy one again.
    Sounds like the dealer doesn't like you for some reason. If it is as blatant as you say, then they should give you better consideration. Sounds like they are not convinced it broke on its own. They would have to EAT the parts if after sending them for inspection that American Honda says sorry, NOT A DEFECT. Glove box cheap yes, cowl it connects to I'm sure not so much. Tell them to send a digital photo to the DSM, and that you would like to speak to the General Manager or the DSM about your situation before calling the Customer Service line. That's like burning the bridge completely between you and your dealer. Also, I have had MANY Honda products in my life, and will continue to buy them, even among poor representation buy an out of touch (possibly) dealer.

I havent done anything to the dealer for them to not like me. If buying machines from them, and getting your parts and service there pisses them off then they have a serious problem. The cowl is $70 my cost so it is probably $30 their cost. As for the labor, it would only cost them the mechanics time so they would be out less than $100 by my calculations. $100 to lose a sale and to have a customer never bring their machines there for service and to tell everyone they know the ordeal they had. Pretty steep price to pay for them over $100.

I havent done anything to the dealer for them to not like me. If buying machines from them, and getting your parts and service there pisses them off then they have a serious problem. The cowl is $70 my cost so it is probably $30 their cost. As for the labor, it would only cost them the mechanics time so they would be out less than $100 by my calculations. $100 to lose a sale and to have a customer never bring their machines there for service and to tell everyone they know the ordeal they had. Pretty steep price to pay for them over $100.
    Is there another dealer near you? You can use ANY Honda Motorcycle dealer that has experience with the Aquatrax, even if they don't sell them. I understand you don't need to be a "Powerhouse Dealer" to sell them now. I know my local dealer sells and services them, and they are not a Powerhouse Dealer. See if another area dealer can earn your business. If that fails don't do it yourself, call the Honda Customer Service Line.

How do I contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support?

For customer or product related questions or comments you can contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support by telephone at 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number or Hull Identification Number ready when calling. Or by mail at: Honda Motorcycle Customer Support, P.O. Box 2200, Torrance, CA 90501.

+1

That whole entire black piece that wraps around the steering stuff.
    There's about 5 fastners that hold the cowl on, on each side, as each panel is separate. I found the left front bolt to be too short...the bolt near the hood hinge. It had only half a turn on it. I replaced it with a longer stainless steel bolt and spacer from Ace hardware. Had I not done that, the wind and/or water could damage the panel.
    I believe you have a warranty issue.....take back to the selling dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by ijdal35 View Post
    Is there another dealer near you? You can use ANY Honda Motorcycle dealer that has experience with the Aquatrax, even if they don't sell them. I understand you don't need to be a "Powerhouse Dealer" to sell them now. I know my local dealer sells and services them, and they are not a Powerhouse Dealer. See if another area dealer can earn your business. If that fails don't do it yourself, call the Honda Customer Service Line.

How do I contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support?

For customer or product related questions or comments you can contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support by telephone at 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number or Hull Identification Number ready when calling. Or by mail at: Honda Motorcycle Customer Support, P.O. Box 2200, Torrance, CA 90501.
    Thank you for the contact info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information