Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about oil level

just got my 10 hour service done, and the rxp was smoking like crazy when idling. so i went back to the dock and dont remember exactly if it idled for 30 seconds, but im pretty sure i waited 30 seconds before i checked the oil, and it was up past the top bend. my rpms are down by about 200 it seems

before i would get up to about 7800 pretty quick and then top out around 7950. now i get to about 7600 and top out around 7800. so i checked it at home and let it pretty much idle about 2 and 1/2 minutes with some short throttle bursts, let it idle 30 seconds, and then waited 30 seconds, and oil was right at top bend on dipstick.

i called the dealer and said i could come by and they would take some out. but my question is how much do you guys think i should pull out based on previous checks, oh and the trailer was level when i checked it at home. need some quick info. thanks. dustin.

probly 1/2 qt max.
    when I change my oil I suck out approx 3 qt and that is what i pup back
    I like to be in the middle of the 2 bends

I too keep mine halfway between the bends.

so do you guys think pulling 1/2 qt out will drop my oil level to where it needs to be? that isnt too much to pull out is it?

A good method to use to get the oil at the level you want is measure the suction tube with the dipstick to where you want the oil level to be and then siphon out to that level.
    Works best if Jetski is warmed up and level.Level it by placing a level on the rails and using trailer jack.

djburkeen...I had the same problem. After the 10hr the dealer overfilled the oil. My level is over the top bend as well. Prior to the 10hr mine topped off at 7950-8000 rpm. After the 10hr I can hit 7650 only. I had been back and forth to the dealer and they could not figure out the drop in performance. They even replaced my supercharger (to shut me up I guess) and I replaced the spark plugs ensuring they were properly gapped. I have not drained 1/2qrt of oil, as I just picked up a proper pump, but will do so and let you know if it makes a difference.

+1
    I just got mine back from the dealer -10 hour check - oil change, and put her in - rpm's started out ok then dropped way down - 7100 or so. Thought it might be oil level - and it was - sucked out 1/2 a quart - rpms back up 7650 - (prop is over pitched - waiting for one on way). Didn't really believe it until I saw it. Happy riding.

Tim

+1
    Some of these dealers amaze me.

Don't they know that they can cause serious engine damage by over filling the oil?

Changing your own oil is easy. I recommend everyone learn how to do it.

+1
    The oil problem is 100% BRP fault. They have had ample time to redesign a dip stick that reads correctly. Where "full" is full and where it should be after an oil change. Can you imagine how many 4-tec owners have ill running machines because they keep the oil level on the full mark? There probably are a lot more owners who never visit the internet than those that do, and as a result, have no knowledge of this problem. Most dealers seem to be ignorant of the oil problem too !!

Richard

way2fast...You are absolutely correct. I was pissed off that two BRP dealers could not solve my problem. When I found this site and all you guys told me about the oil level probably being too high, I was amazed it was something so simple, and that certified BRP dealers would overlook it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more people with the exact same issue. My brother in law jsut got his RXT back after the 10hr and guess what........the same problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information