Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris 780 madness

Hi everyone,
    Been lurking and finally coming outta the closet.
    I've inherited 3 polaris ski's and they all need work.
    1 sl780 96
    2 slx 780 96
    A blessing or a curse my plan is to take em apart and get two good running jetskis out of em. I work with some Sea Scouts and I'm using the polaris's as learning tools and also bait to get new members. (incidentally jetskis aren't sanctioned by the Scouts. Their insurance won't cover them)
    So i'm currently taking the motor out of the sl780. The motor seems to be locked up and i see evidence of crud in the rear cylinder. Should i take off the carb assemblys to facilatate removal? and or any tricks to make this job easier.
    I've downloaded the manual but "Adobe" is finacky on my computer.

This is a great forum and thanks in advance for any help.

+1
    Ho desertmariner, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

+1
    welcome!!

get it out, get it apart, and let us know what you find......

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

If your Adobe Reader is not working well, be sure you have downloaded the latest version of the FREE Reader from www.acrobat.com.

Also, make sure you don't have any computer virus or other nasties. One good way is to go to www.TrendMicro.com, and use their Free Housecall scanning service. It does a pretty good job of finding and removing unpleasant things that have wedged themselves into Windows.

Do this first, before you install or update any other stuff. Housecall works even if you have some other Anti-Virus software on your computer. You may be surprised at the stuff it finds lurking in your machine.

After the Housecall scan, be sure to use the Microsoft Windows Update service (In your Windows Start or Programs menu) to bring your Microsoft Windows up to current. Choose the Advanced button, and check the optional/software/hardware lists for updates that are good to have, but not been included in the automatic updating.

If you have not already, you may find that installing and using the Firefox web browser gives less trouble than Internet Explorer. I now use Firefox for 99% of my web browsing.

Regarding pulling that Fuji engine, once you get the exhaust shifted enough, you can tilt and lift the engine with the carbs still attached. There are several threads that talk about the best ways to lift the engine out. I presume you have pulled the jet pump and drive shaft out already.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk,

While you do not need to take the carbs off to get the engine out, it is good practice to get the feel of removing the carb while in the boat. This is something you will need to do from time to time to clean them

Go to the Hardware store and get the cheapest set of metric Open end closed end wrenches and cut the 10 and 12mm in half. these two will serve you well in getting at the hard to reach bolts and nuts

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

If you do a search, you'll see that I've removed the engine with the carbs and exhaust manifolds still installed. It's not the easiest way of doing it, but it can be done.

If you remove the carbs, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold while still in the ski, it will make engine removal, a little easier. (and lighter)

You'll find that the exhaust pipe is a bit of a pain to do. So, remove the bolts and slide the pipe forward. That will allow access to the exh manifold bolts.

NOTE: when reassembling the engine, the pipe needs to be inside the ski prior to the install. You will never get the pipe in with the engine in place.

+1
    Awsome, I am a BSA WEBELOS 2 LEADER!!! Welcome. We just completed our engineering badge. I took a 2 cycle engine one night and let the boys take it apart. Never thought they would put it back together and it run?? Do not under est. these guys they are really smart. They got back together and aftera few trys it fired up. My hat is off to you!!!!! We need more people to get involved with our youth!!!!!!!

+1
    You came to the right place.

Hi again,
    Thanks for the wonderful response,

Spent yesterday trying to remove the carb assembly while in the ski. cutting up 10mm makes a lot of sense.
    Salt water makes dust of Aluminum.
    Should have it removed today.
    Get out on the water Sunday.....
    Rich

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by desertmariner View Post
    Hi again,
    Thanks for the wonderful response,

Spent yesterday trying to remove the carb assembly while in the ski. cutting up 10mm makes a lot of sense.
    Salt water makes dust of Aluminum.
    Should have it removed today.
    Get out on the water Sunday.....
    Rich
    Welcome To the Hulk
    glad you found the best place for help
    and take a look at joining are South Florida riding club in my sig (below)
    enjoy and have fun
    mattman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information