Comparing intercoolers

How do they all compare. The piranha parts, Riva old, Riva gen2 has anyone run them back to back or compared them on boats with the same setup.

The Riva gen2 seems to have long pipes, I really dont want long pipes the shorter the distance the better.And the X or Gen2 cooler seems quite big.

I would like to run a supercharged stx-15f vortec cooler mounted straight on the TB and close to the supercharger, i think it could work well on our rxp but would need a bracket and new piping which is the least of my worries.

+1

SC adapter 'clocking' plate

I personally think the XS is hard to beat for bang for the buck and durability. Length of IC hoses ... shorter is marginally better arguably, but take a look at a lot of street cars ... ricer or muscle car, if they are centrifugal supercharged (or turboed) and intercooled, the length of hoses are FAR longer than any setup on our skis. So short is good, but don't get hung up on it ... think how fast out of the hole the X skis are and they have very long hoses ... it does not make a significant difference.

In order to really have an IC that almost eliminates the hoses altogether would require a supercharger adapter bracket that would allow you to clock the supercharger one bolt hole or so. Basically a round plate with a circular cutout in the center, with threaded mounting holes that allow you to spin the SC so the outlet points more up. The plate bolts to the block, the SC is slid in and bolts to the 'clocked' threaded holes on the adapter plate. This would open up the possibility of using different IC designs and end tanks that would allow you to just use a single silicone coupler from SC to IC and one from IC to TB. But it would be a lot of work for marginal if any gains ... it sure as hell would make sealing up the connections and eliminating boost leaks easier tho! If the explanation makes sense and a machinist wanted to experiment with that ... but I got no skills in that area.
    Last edited by Vern; 12-12-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by someanyung View Post
    How do they all compare. The piranha parts, Riva old, Riva gen2 has anyone run them back to back or compared them on boats with the same setup.

The Riva gen2 seems to have long pipes, I really dont want long pipes the shorter the distance the better.And the X or Gen2 cooler seems quite big.

I would like to run a supercharged stx-15f vortec cooler mounted straight on the TB and close to the supercharger, i think it could work well on our rxp but would need a bracket and new piping which is the least of my worries.
    I have fitted 2 xs coolers,1 on a RXT using the standard pipes,and 1 on a RXP using the SPEEDFREAKS BRACKET AND SHORTER PIPE SET UP,the XS COOLER, is good value,built well,works well,simply does the job,the different pipe set ups dont seem to have had any noticable difference,(i did run the RXP) on the origanal pipes for a while, i was after the bracket to make it secure,as you say the cooler is large and ways a fair bit,something to think about if you enjoy wavejumping

Banned User
    +1
    These 2 links should tell ya...Its a matter of preference also...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46959

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68684

+1
    Comparing intercooler plumbing in the automotive world (most notably dragracing) and this application is just like comparing apples and,,,well,,,,eggs!

Line locks and trans brakes enable boost pressures to increase before leaving the line or "holeshot". This is why so many people are jumping on REAR mounted turbos. But look at the size of turbo needed. Lots of pipe to pressurize for performance.

Thread Information