Question Considering a Seadoo

Sorry for this long and pessimistic first post, but what's the gig with these jet boats?
    The concept of a maneuverable "jet ski" type boat is appealing to me, however what's not appealing is all the disadvantages I've read about while browsing this forum:

- Needs flushing after every use, even with the closed loop cooling. Apparently the pump and exhaust aren't really designed for saltwater use? (compared to an outdrive you don't worry about for the whole season)
    - No factory provisions for trimming, and no real aftermarket solutions due to transom design and jet pump interference. The wrong trim will definitely hurt what's apparently an already marginal rough ride.
    - Not recommended to operate in less than 3 feet of water due to debris being sucked up by the pump (even in neutral). Isn't that supposed to be a main ADVANTAGE of jet drive over a prop?
    - Weeds (how about sea grass?) can clog the pump and basically leave you dead in the water. Seadoo's attempt at a solution (ICS) sounded like a fiasco. With the latest models you're expected to shut the engine off and drift and hope the obstruction clears itself OR you're taking a swim?
    - Recent models were being produced with known defective "ceramic washers" that fail and damage the engine. And Seadoo continued to produce engines with this issue for SEVERAL MODEL YEARS leaving owners out of their "generous" one-season warranty at the dealer's mercy?
    - 18 footers (Challenger) with 215 HP top out in the low 40's MPH? A prop boat with that power would do 50 easy.
    - 6000+ RPM cruise speeds resulting in about 3 MPG? A prop boat this size would get 5 easy. And just how long do these 8000 RPM motors last anyway? At least if you could use synthetic oil that would probably help here, but if you do, the engine gets damaged (again)?
    - Underdesigned hatches and deck support resulting in stress cracks - "possibly" fixed in the '09's?

Like I said, I appreciate the concept of these boats and was actually considering buying one this spring, but are they really just under-engineered, over-priced, not ready for prime time toys?
    (and are those boattest.com guys on Seadoo's payroll?)

+1
    then don't buy one.

seriously their not for everyone....where do you boat??maybe go ask some owners in your area what they think.

Love mine,every boat has its good and bad points,jet boats are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Sorry for this long and pessimistic first post, but what's the gig with these jet boats?
    The concept of a maneuverable "jet ski" type boat is appealing to me, however what's not appealing is all the disadvantages I've read about while browsing this forum:

- Needs flushing after every use, even with the closed loop cooling. Apparently the pump and exhaust aren't really designed for saltwater use? (compared to an outdrive you don't worry about for the whole season)
    - No factory provisions for trimming, and no real aftermarket solutions due to transom design and jet pump interference. The wrong trim will definitely hurt what's apparently an already marginal rough ride.
    - Not recommended to operate in less than 3 feet of water due to debris being sucked up by the pump (even in neutral). Isn't that supposed to be a main ADVANTAGE of jet drive over a prop?
    - Weeds (how about sea grass?) can clog the pump and basically leave you dead in the water. Seadoo's attempt at a solution (ICS) sounded like a fiasco. With the latest models you're expected to shut the engine off and drift and hope the obstruction clears itself OR you're taking a swim?
    - Recent models were being produced with known defective "ceramic washers" that fail and damage the engine. And Seadoo continued to produce engines with this issue for SEVERAL MODEL YEARS leaving owners out of their "generous" one-season warranty at the dealer's mercy?
    - 18 footers (Challenger) with 215 HP top out in the low 40's MPH? A prop boat with that power would do 50 easy.
    - 6000+ RPM cruise speeds resulting in about 3 MPG? A prop boat this size would get 5 easy. And just how long do these 8000 RPM motors last anyway? At least if you could use synthetic oil that would probably help here, but if you do, the engine gets damaged (again)?
    - Underdesigned hatches and deck support resulting in stress cracks - "possibly" fixed in the '09's?

Like I said, I appreciate the concept of these boats and was actually considering buying one this spring, but are they really just under-engineered, over-priced, not ready for prime time toys?
    (and are those boattest.com guys on Seadoo's payroll?)

Salt Water is fine...I believe prop boats even have to have ear muffs to flush the outerdrive..No change there.

They do things prop boats can only dream of when it comes to handling.

The washers have been fixed and the NA boats never ever had a problem.

Even the older boats can have the new washers installed easy.

Shallow water is the main advantage of having a jetboat (and the fact there is no meat chopper in the back). You can operate in very shallow water as nothing is hanging down. Would I open it up in 2 feet of water? No, but you can enjoy shallow water.

The trim is kind of a bummer, but it planes out fast and the ride is better than you think. Jet isnt as efficiant prop, so it requires more power and more fuel..the NA boats get in the 5mpg+ and the SC boats are somewhere in the low 4's I thought.

Talking wannabe sounds like a hater!

This is my first post too, but I am optomistic.
    Just had to reply to wannabe. Sounds to me like wannabe already made up his mind and is gonna end up being one of those guys in the prop boats that can only look on and hate the jet boats from the side lines unable to hang in there.....
    Don't believe me? Go to the lakes and see for yourself who's having the most fun. Jet boats have very sleek lines and look where the chicks are at!
    All boats have their issues... Even the U.S. millitary is switching to jet drive (more reliable, better performance, ability to go where no boat has gone before) It's the wave of the future dude!

+1
    Sorry to be rude but have you ever owned a boat in your life???? Salt water, weeds, shallow water affect prop boat as well. If the props get coverd with weeds it can hinder the cooling of the motor, and if your drive in shallow water you can suck sand into cooling system witch can also hinder the cooling of the motor. Both designs have + & - about them. I own a sportster 150 and a 230cc doral 350 300hp with a Bravo3 I have a cattage on a channel that is surrounded by marsh and wetlands so as you can guess we have ALOT of weed in are channel witch is 6ft deep & 30ft wide and i dont have toget out and swim under the boat toget weeds out.All I do BEFOR i power up i put it in reverse gives it some gas and turn the wheel back and forth to shake the boat. If there are weeds and your idling they will most likely get caught on the grate if you dont shake them off befor you power up they will get sucked into the pump and youll be swimin. If your on plane you will not get weeds stuck in the pump of a jet boat they just pass through.

Thread Information