Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Frustrated removing decals. Advice welcomed.

We just bought another rxp last week. Today, I went to remove the old registration numbers and some industry stickers that the previous owner put on the ski. I used a heat gun as I always have in the past. Everything came off smooth. Finally, I decided to remove the decals on the rear gunnell. What a freakin nightmare. When heated up, these decals became gooey and broke apart leaving white sticky residue all over the place. this residue will not come off with adhesive remover. Now Ive got a mess and Im really pissed off. It took about a half hour or so to get to what you see here.

Advise is welcomed.

[quote=twelvesorbetter;897556]I had the same problem,got over by using a NYLON SCRUB PAD,and white spirit,the nylon pad roughs the tacky glue,but wont scratch the paint,still it does take a while to do,you need a few pads bottle of white spirit and an hour or so,i have found on older stickers to much heat applied to remove them can make the problem worse,try a very low heat or even an hairdryer,..GOOD LUCK

Try some kerosene. Something with oil in it will take off the adhesive. Also try a using a small plastic spreader to scrape it off, like the ones that come with Bondo... Ron

Banned User
    +1
    heat the stickers to soften, but only for a few seconds...come back and peel...Acetone will remove the goo...

I tried a small plastic scraper, when the sticker became gooey, all the scraper did was smear it around believe it or not. its going to need some heavy duty solvent now to get it off. Ive removed lots of stickers over the years... never seen this before. really really frustrating and time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    heat the stickers to soften, but only for a few seconds...come back and peel...Acetone will remove the goo...
    wont acetone hurt the gelcoat?

I was thinking mineral spritis.. or something gentler..

+1

Smile GOO Gone

[quote=twelvesorbetter;897556]We just bought another rxp last week. Today, I went to remove the old registration numbers and some industry stickers that the previous owner put on the ski. I used a heat gun as I always have in the past. Everything came off smooth. Finally, I decided to remove the decals on the rear gunnell. What a freakin nightmare. When heated up, these decals became gooey and broke apart leaving white sticky residue all over the place. this residue will not come off with adhesive remover. Now Ive got a mess and Im really pissed off. It took about a half hour or so to get to what you see here.

Advise is welcomed.

I use GOO GONE all the time with a razor blade scraper and it works great!

Soak it in good and they come right off - good luck!

a razor blade is going to scratch the shit out of the gelcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Try some kerosene. Something with oil in it will take off the adhesive. Also try a using a small plastic spreader to scrape it off, like the ones that come with Bondo... Ron
    THAT MOST DEFINATLY WORKS,place it and run firmly but smoothly along the glue,with some spirit or decal remover plastic WONT SCRATCH IF YOUR CAREFULL

WD40. Spray it on the ski and wipe with a terry cloth towel. Be amazed.

Something weird I have noticed when I removed my SEA-DOO stickers on the side of the ski along with the warning stickers is that if you do it after riding they will come off a lot easier and cleaner. I think when the stickers get wet from riding it loosens the glue up a bit.

You also aren't getting the sticker hot enough with he heat gun before you are pulling the sticker off.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information