Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar

Question 787 RFI Rectifier...HD?

It's new rectifier time again. I'm coming to the table looking for people smarter than myself (not surprisingly hard to find)

So, I've read on the web that people have used 4-tec rectifiers in the RFI's/DI's because they are supposedly heavier duty. But they say you need to buy the right wires to connect it to the older 2 strokes.

Questions:

1) Is it true the 4tec rectifiers are heavier duty?

2) couldn't I just use the wire harness off the old one, or do I need to rewire it internally?

Thanks,
    Sean

everyone on the boards claim the 4-stroke ones are more resilient. from what i know, you will need to cut the plug off the 4-stroke one. get some pins like rfi/di models use from radio shack, hot products or seadoo dealer - put pins on 4-stroke rectifier, then use your plugs.

that's my interpretation of what i know about the two parts. i'm just posting out of greed or help out a fellow peep. i have a very nice used 1554 i pulled off less then 30 hour fresh water rfi model for engine transplant. 70 bucks shipped to FL for a GH'er. pics in my p'bucket
    http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k...%20Electrical/

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

one of the vendors sell the "hd reg/rect"

I'm more interested in knowing why they fail as quickly as they do on the rfi's , seems like a simple enough bit. I suspect that once the battery reaches full charge the exccess output is just shunted to a ground, and that would make the innards of the unit pretty darn hot, expoxy is not a good conductor of heat, the finds are just for show I suspect, they do get a little warm sometimes, but I imagine the regualtor is running on the edge of it's spec.

I get mine ( third party oem replacements) for distributor prices, but I had two brand new ones fail within minutes of installation. I'm going to try an off brand reg/rect ment for an outboard motor next time around ( three phase) stator. In all fairness to my supplier ( wink) they did replace them with no guff at all, so I guess they are aware of some quality control problem. I'm considering adding an ammeter to my skis instrumentation to keep an eye on the bugger..it is reallllly annoying to have to have this on the back of my mind.

Plenty of three phase reg/rects available for motocyles, but the prices are in line with the ones with the "right connectors"

A second battery is in my plans also, I hate paddling

personally i do not think they fail any more then the 787 models. kohler had an issue with their v-twins for a while which was a grounding issue.

lots of reasons... people who don't ride often go to the ramp with just enough charge to start these power demanding RFI engines and force the rectifier to charge the battery all the time. poor grounds will shorten the life as will poor connections, salt water causing current leakage issues in charging system. some people don't realize agm and gel batteries require a little higher float charge then standard batteries- yes i realize the standard lead acid and agm are close to same but agm is a little higher. china made electrical components don't help the situation any. the list can go on but i'd guess those are the mail issues.

i've never gotten a bad one to play with, maybe someone has looked at a failed one from component level and will post.

all i know is they use the same rectifiers for the FI models as they did on carbed models...i just assumed the extra demand of a FI system is too much. not smart enough to think deeper than that.

so, you're selling one Ohell?....if you can get it to me asap that would awesome....check/MO/paypal??

replied to pm, i got a 3gay for project. rode just enough to decide i liked it, sold xpl and decided to hack up the 3gay.

i have a lot of electrical and throttle body left. seriously the stuff is very nice and fair prices. what's left in photobucket. i'll make ya a deal on entire throttle body assy - you know how rough FL is on tb's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    all i know is they use the same rectifiers for the FI models as they did on carbed models...i just assumed the extra demand of a FI system is too much. not smart enough to think deeper than that.

so, you're selling one Ohell?....if you can get it to me asap that would awesome....check/MO/paypal??
    The reg rect on the rfi/di models is the same but is different on carbed 800's.

Talking

see...i didn't even know that much

Thats wierd I change more on RFI than DI but they are the same and the DI has more crap running.. Must be a grounding issue or something like that or air flow...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

depotting solvent

what can I use and where can I get some, I'll melt down a bad regulator I have here to see what the deal is. a 5 amp charge rate isn't a whole lot for the rfi, no doubt the fuel pump is pulling at least half of that alone.

These regualtors don't seem to have good heat transfer, but if I see the regualtor bolted to that chunk of aluminum, I'll change my tune.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information