Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overheat Alarm

+1

Overheat Alarm

Hey guys, is it normal for the Water O/H alarm to sound when you are just kinda messing around.(Stood up doing circles and jumping your own wake kinda thing) And if I shoot off and do a WOT run will it go off or make thing worse ? Or should I come in and let it cool down like I have been doing ?

Also how do I stop my ski from bouncing as I accelerate out of a tight turn. I can stop it by easing of the throttle and accel slower moving on to the passenger seat - but there must be a better way ? Or ride it out. Either way its costing me time point to point.

Thanks
    Stu

+1
    No it is not normal for the alarm to go off. Your cooling system isnt flowing correctly. Check the strainer in the pump.

+1
    Checked all that stuff and everthing is clear. Maybe its because I run a Stinger 3 and water is only fed in at the top ? So by the time it reaches the waterbox its hot when riding like this? WOT runs its fine.

I am talking about riding this way for 15-20 mins before the alarm sounds.

All the pissers are flowing including 1/2" #3 dump and the 3/8" dump from the Stinger 3 coupling (but this one only really flows at higher RPM)

+1
    well i would say that mabey its ur cat converter but im sure by the mods u have u dont even have that n e more
    this problem is past my knowledge.

+1
    Yeh man, CatCon gone. Stinger 3 replaces both CatCon and D plate.

Banned User
    Maybe its your temp sensor wire? Or the D-plate chip you installed? Are they connected properly? Wiring frayed? Only thing i can think of... Does your motor feel excessively hot when the temp gauge goes off? Anything look out of the norm when the guage goes off?

+1
    Temp sensor wire maybe I guess, but whel only when I mess around like that. WOT is fine. Motor does not feel that hot. Exh pipe down by the sensor feels warmer that usual but you can put your hand on on for a second or two (dont forget this is a thin sigle skin alumium pipe not the stocker) . This is a European spec ski that I brought from the UK so no catcon and therefore no chip needed.

Alarm only goes off when I'm messing around (tight turns, blipping throttle etc, after 15- 20mins). Maybe my exhaust doesn't flow enough at low rpm to stop the temps from rising ?

Could someone answer the question about do I shut it down or do a WOT run? please. Yesterday when it when off I went back to the dock - beeping. Switched off let it sit for 10 mins while I refueled and went out again doing WOT runs and it never came back on and never has while doing WOT/mid-high rpm riding.

Thanks guys

Banned User
    oh really... thats pretty neat. didnt know that those models came without the cat. So your temp gauge is stock? you didnt need to have a special chip put in place.

Hmm... strange... maybe when your messing around your cooling system isn't pulling the proper amount of water in. Since it doesnt occur at WOT you cant be running lean.... all i can think of is that your just not getting the proper amount of water into the cooling system =/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gPsLeePeR View Post
    oh really... thats pretty neat. didnt know that those models came without the cat. So your temp gauge is stock? you didnt need to have a special chip put in place.

Hmm... strange... maybe when your messing around your cooling system isn't pulling the proper amount of water in. Since it doesnt occur at WOT you cant be running lean.... all i can think of is that your just not getting the proper amount of water into the cooling system =/
    I find a few issues in your statment here.

1. GPR's tend to run lean with higher EGT's at mid range level.
    2. The "special chip" you are refering to, that early model GPRs use when installing a D-plate, is for EGT not for water temp.

Bahamas, I think your issue is coolant flow. It seems you are dumping most of your water before it reaches the bottom of the pipe. Do you have a flow control valve at the beginning of the stinger? Have you checked it to see if it is clogged? You may need to restrict some of your dumps to prevent this loss of coolant. It's hard to say if a WOT run will cool the pipe off or not. If you can verify that coolant is getting there at WOT then yes, WOT will cool the pipe. Although, I don't think the buzzer will go off without shutting it down and restarting. I suggest you take a picture of your pipe and cooling lines so people with experience with the S3 can comment.

+1
    well maybe
    its possible that ur pump pick up is clogged or a hose is clogged and ur flow is restricted
    next time it happens feel the motor and exhaust if they are very hot then i dunno
    but if they are warm to hot but not super hot u mite just have a computer chip problem
    thats all i can think of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information