Buy new or stay with the old

Hey guys, Im new to the cite but not to skis.
    I currently have a 04 stx-12 in great condition thats never had a problem in its entirety down in florida. Great ski and very reliable. tops out just at 60.

I recently saw the New 260X was was wondering if it is worth the trade. Ill be going to florida this week to ride but was considering trading up for something new.

Any thoughts would be Greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Also any idea of what i can get for my 04?

Quote Originally Posted by 68firebird View Post
    Hey guys, Im new to the cite but not to skis.
    I currently have a 04 stx-12 in great condition thats never had a problem in its entirety down in florida. Great ski and very reliable. tops out just at 60.

I recently saw the New 260X was was wondering if it is worth the trade. Ill be going to florida this week to ride but was considering trading up for something new.

Any thoughts would be Greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Also any idea of what i can get for my 04?
    It all depends what you care most about. If you want more speed and power then the 260x is your best bet. If you care about fuel economy and reliability im pretty sure the stx-12f is going to be hard to beat. Not that the 260x cant be reliable just not as much as the 12f.

of course i want more speed and power, but from what im hearing they only go a couple mph's faster

top speed is a bit more but you will get there alot faster on the 260 then the 12 . Buy it

worth it?

I faced the same question back in the spring. All my buddies bought new skis so I thought I had to have one so I sold my 99 ultra 150 went and talked to a local dealer who had to find what I wanted and in the mean time I rode my friends 250x and another friends yamaha fx sho and don't get me wrong they were fine rides, both of them, but when the dealer gave me a price quote for the new one I had decided on there wasn't $8000.00 difference between the ultra and the fx sho so I bought another ultra 150 and saved that 8 grand and it will out run both the fx sho and the 250x. New skis are very nice but are they worth the price only you can decide that. Good luck with your decision buy what you can afford (ins, and fuel cost can add up).

I keep looking into replacing my Ultra 150 and have ridden a few new ski's inc the ultra 250 and to be honest i cant justify the outlay on a new ski when my ultra is just as fast, uses less fuel (than a 250) and is more fun, but with the credit crunch biting hard here in the U.K. there are some good bargains to be had especially used ski's....for example a 2008 green Ultra 250 with 8 hours just went on ebay for £5600 which is £4500 less than new..

Also looking at the racing here in the U.K. the 2 stroke class is making a big comeback next year as they are now very affordable and cheap to race...(like mine)

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    your saying an Ultra 150 out run's and Ultra 250?
    not a chance!

if your going to ride in the ocean the Ultra 250 is the best ski.
    BUT you can go through a tank of gas in less than an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    your saying an Ultra 150 out run's and Ultra 250?
    not a chance!

if your going to ride in the ocean the Ultra 250 is the best ski.
    BUT you can go through a tank of gas in less than an hour
    a slightly modded 150 can easily keep up and pass a stock 250, don't get me wrong the 250 is a nice ski but too big and heavy and yes it rocks in choppy seas.....if only kwak would do a 250hp 2 seater like the RXP

I gotta go with Glenozzy. The mods required on an ultra aren't worth the effort. Now grab a 15f with mods and you will skin a 250x back ON SLICK WATER. But you won't hold a candle to one in choppy seas...

Thread Information