Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rotterdam,NY & Moneta, VA
    Posts
    1,617
    +1
    1

    your thoughts on gp800r upgrades

    okay guys when it comes to this stuff i dont have a clue with 2 strokes. im just doing the upgrades for fun i like to mess around with things not looking to break speed records and to be honest i dont want to break 70mph LOL.

    i want to put vf3s, flame arrestor and some high compression heads.

    my question is are any of those mods not gona have an effect or a bad effect. also does any one have a good read on how to tune the ski afterward. this is the part that is making me pretty nervous right now is that ill either run to rich or to lean and blow the motor.


  2. #2
    WATER WOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minden, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    10,664
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    okay guys when it comes to this stuff i dont have a clue with 2 strokes. im just doing the upgrades for fun i like to mess around with things not looking to break speed records and to be honest i dont want to break 70mph LOL.

    i want to put vf3s, flame arrestor and some high compression heads.

    my question is are any of those mods not gona have an effect or a bad effect. also does any one have a good read on how to tune the ski afterward. this is the part that is making me pretty nervous right now is that ill either run to rich or to lean and blow the motor.
    Seal the pump
    rejet carbs/FA's
    intake grate
    modded ride plate
    mill head
    reeds
    Solas 12/18 ?

    You need to rejet to run FA's.

  3. #3
    yz450f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    657
    +1
    6
    yea water woody is rite
    but its only a 2 clyinder motor so puttin alot of money into this ski is not goona go as far as it would on a triple. but i also have a gpr800 that is undergoing major modding. the free flow is a good mod but i heard that u do lose a little on the top but its a great sound.
    heads are alos great but hard to find for the 800. send ur oem head to jims performance to mill it for 145 psi. flame arrestors and rejet and do everyhting water woody said and you should be good to go. im not sure about the prop he recomended. i use a soals concord 11/14. but mabey with prop ull get more out of ur ski i dunno im going to look into that right now.

  4. #4
    WATER WOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minden, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    10,664
    +1
    11
    Thats why the ? mark was after the prop in the list above.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rotterdam,NY & Moneta, VA
    Posts
    1,617
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by yz450f View Post
    yea water woody is rite
    but its only a 2 clyinder motor so puttin alot of money into this ski is not goona go as far as it would on a triple. but i also have a gpr800 that is undergoing major modding. the free flow is a good mod but i heard that u do lose a little on the top but its a great sound.
    heads are alos great but hard to find for the 800. send ur oem head to jims performance to mill it for 145 psi. flame arrestors and rejet and do everyhting water woody said and you should be good to go. im not sure about the prop he recomended. i use a soals concord 11/14. but mabey with prop ull get more out of ur ski i dunno im going to look into that right now.
    not really about speed but more or less just messing around. i was gona do the plate but im gona leave it till last the pump is already sealed and i have wave eaters clips and couplers on it as well.

    woody ill talk to you about the grate privately as i really don't want to post info on the site becuase of an agreement i had with oddside a while ago.

  6. #6
    yz450f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    657
    +1
    6
    yea i would also reccomend u run pre mix
    but if ur just messin around u mite just wanna get the F/A re jet and mill the head and new prop. the ski is pretty quick as it is and if ur not looking to make it a all top spees ski then its acutally not ad stock. with those mods ut should make it more enjoyable.

  7. #7
    African-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,226
    +1
    88
    best GP800R upgrade.... SELL IT and get a GP1300R

  8. #8
    dhoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    3,182
    +1
    6
    The 800 motor will handle more compression than the 12 or 1300, so milling the head is a good start. go with a bent 11/14, I may be wrong but I think a 12/18 will be too much prop unless you take some out of the trailing edge. Fa, reeds, rejet, rideplate and grate are a great ideas!
    I went all the way with the 66e/800 - big bore porting etc. and saw nice gains in accleration and 10 mph.
    oh yeah, protec makes a nice head for the 800 motor if you don't want to cut your head

  9. #9
    African-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,226
    +1
    88
    im guessing with all that around 65-70mph ?

    Now look at the costs involved and you can get a GP1300R for less or a GP1200R for even less

    U have to do the math, its not always worth spending huge amounts of money when u can get better performance else where. hence why there are so many GPRXP conversions.

  10. #10
    dhoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    3,182
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    im guessing with all that around 65-70mph ?

    Now look at the costs involved and you can get a GP1300R for less or a GP1200R for even less

    U have to do the math, its not always worth spending huge amounts of money when u can get better performance else where. hence why there are so many GPRXP conversions.
    agreed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need your opinions on boat upgrade
    By Thor7000 in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
  2. your thoughts on a SC seadoo GTI
    By 206 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
  3. Your thoughts on Direct Hits Spark Plug
    By akjose in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM
  4. Your thoughts on my jetting
    By great lakes gpr 1200 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 10:08 PM
  5. Your Thoughts on IC pipe size?
    By Water4fire in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •