Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

replacing bendix.

Hi guys im having a problem with my XP-limited. it was draining the battery out when sitting but i think ive narrowed that down to the bildgepump. it seems to always cycle ever 4-5 sec even with the key fob out. now that i fixed that the bendix seems to be dead.

I can here the starter spin but its not grabbing i assume this is the bendix from other systems ive worked on. is it an easy change? the engine bay is so cramped I can't even find the thing were abouts is it located and can it be changed out easily after the pipe is removed?

how are the ebay bendix's?

thanks guys look forward to hanging around more. doesn;t seem theres much for performance in what i do but I am an experienced 2 stroke porter(atv).

+1
    You need to remove the front cover & flywheel & it comes right out.

Dont use a cheap bendix or you will be doing it again,soon. Use a OEM one for reliabilty. Sometimes they can be cleaned/lubed & reinstalled.

I have good oem used ones for $75 shipped.

i bought mine brand new on ebay for 50 bucks and it was working great before i blew my engine. i used it a year before then. i inspected it the other day and it doesn't have anything missing on the gears. you have to take off the fly wheel to get to it though

+1
    when you take off the frt cover you need to support the engine underneath the4 frt with a 2x4,etc of the 2 rear engine mounts will pull out. With that said taking off the flywheel while in the hull can be a pain for an new owner, might as well pull the engine or take it to a shop, or have a board guy who is experienced maybe assist you in person, where are you located at?

TLR

+1
    Find somebody who has the OEM flywheel puller... Off in about 5 seconds..

Quote Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
    Find somebody who has the OEM flywheel puller... Off in about 5 seconds..
    can also buy that on ebay if you cant find anyone around you that has one. i paid $30 for mine.

bildge pump/bendix

The bildge pump should cycle. My son's was doing the same thing. We installed a switch to turn it off.
    I have had to replace the bendix twice. First time it too all day in the boat with all the right tools. Mainly because the starter was stuck in the block and we finally had to break off the front of the starter.
    Second time we pulled the engine. less the 45 minutes to pull the engine and then an hour to change the bendix.
    The first bendix exploded so it broke the plastic holder and threw pieces everywhere.
    While the motor is out you can clean up you carbs and check the reeds and go over a few things so you're ready for summer.
    Good luck.

+1
    welcome to the forum conig

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcar123 View Post
    The bildge pump should cycle. My son's was doing the same thing. We installed a switch to turn it off.
    I have had to replace the bendix twice. First time it too all day in the boat with all the right tools. Mainly because the starter was stuck in the block and we finally had to break off the front of the starter.
    Second time we pulled the engine. less the 45 minutes to pull the engine and then an hour to change the bendix.
    The first bendix exploded so it broke the plastic holder and threw pieces everywhere.
    While the motor is out you can clean up you carbs and check the reeds and go over a few things so you're ready for summer.
    Good luck.
    Funny thing... You dont need to remove the starter to replace the starter clutch on a 951.

+1
    "The bildge pump should cycle. My son's was doing the same thing. We installed a switch to turn it off."

Yes it shuold cycle when you put the key in for only a few seconds, then if it senses water it will turn on and pump, no switch is needed. sounds like the OEM pump got replaved with the wrong pump at some point. its usuage is controled by the ski computer.

I have the 800 flywheel tool but I don't think it fits the 951 engine in order to pull the flywheel.

TLR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information