Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Spray painting hood suggestion

so I know this is talked about in other threads, but i thought i would share with you what i did..

so far i just tried this on my hood. Quicksilver sells a phantom black touch up spray paint for outboard motors so this past fall i sparyed my hood and just a little area on the jet pump(to see how will it would hold) and so far so good on the jet pump(the nozzle looks like new where i spayed it) the only thing i think i need to do to the hood is just put a few more layers on and then see how it works

Heres my recommendation-

Sand it with a semi-fine grit just to scuff up the surface and then wipe it down with acetone. Let it evaporate/dry. Get primer specifically for plastics (available at home depot) and shoot it.
    Then there is a yellow paint at home depot called rustoleum 'all purpose' (comes in a few colors). Its intended for plastics, ceramics, and other surfaces that have difficult adhesion. The color is very close to seadoo yellow. The can has a little trigger on it so that it looks almost like a little paint gun. It sprays nice and evenly and doesnt spit like most spray cans do. I highly recommend it. I can take a picture of the can for you if you want. Im in the process of doing one now. Ive done it before using the same products and had fantastic results.

I saw that you did the handlebar plastics too and had poor adhesion. That plastic is tough because its soft and it flexes. I dont have any suggestions there. You may just want to go the route of aftermarket bars. I have an extra set. They are the same ones that are on my SPX. Go on myspace and look at the pic, youll see it.

+1
    yeah, I took some sand paper to the hood and it worked better...im trying to finishoff the theme the previous owner had th yellow/black scheme...on the nozzle it took a 400 grit sand paper to a small area and then sprayed over it, it's a thick paint so it worked great. I tried the spray paint for plastics before and it didn't last long on my previous ski

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    I tried the spray paint for plastics before and it didn't last long on my previous ski

Did you primer? plastic primer helps to promote adhesion. I highly recommend it. the primer is about five bucks. the paint I described about is about seven bucks. Ive had very good luck with both.

I always wipe it down with acetone too after I sand because that removes any dirt, sanding dust, or oils which also obviously helps adhesion. It also opens up the top layer of plastic and makes it more pourus so it takes the paint better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    I always wipe it down with acetone too after I sand because that removes any dirt, sanding dust, or oils which also obviously helps adhesion. It also opens up the top layer of plastic and makes it more pourus so it takes the paint better.
    I was told to clean it like you said then take a heat gun to it then spray it...im starting to think the heat gun step screwed it up

I dont see a need for the heat gun step.

If you didnt use primer, that is probably what screwed you up. I tried it once without primer and the paint just wouldnt go down smooth. It went down thin and when I went back over it, it started to run. If you do it with the steps I gave you- you will have success. Ive done it twice this way with fantastic results. I need to get out to walmart to buy something before I can finish. If I can get it done by the weekend, Ill post up some pics.

When i painted these trim parts ( mirrors, and guage cover) all i did was use acetone to clean them, then use Krylon plastic paint. Been just like the day i painted them for 2 years now. Talking about the 96.

I tried krylon fusion before and I did not have good luck with it. everyone loves it. I did not use a primer with it so that may have been part of the problem. I always use primer now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information