Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Garage Door Spring

well, just when I shut the garage door last night to shut it down after a hard day working on the skis, I heard a 'brrap-oing' sound. Well, my suspician was correct when I went back in the garage. The torsion spring broke. Now, I've replaced a single door spring before, but this is a double spring and after reading some how-to's on the net, I've decided to call a professional. If it was a singel, I would. But, I'm on vacation and I'd hate to get hurt. Plus, by the time I add my gas to go get the spring, time involved and risk factor, it's more cost efficient if I do the service call.
    I called a local company and they can do 1 spring for 90.00 for the spring and 125 labor. He said if I have two, go ahead and do both, and he'll sell the springs for 75 each and 125 labor. So, I think I'm gonna let him install it. dangit....but, I can't complain. These springs are good for roughly 10,000 cycles. I've been in this house for 8 years now and I just knew it was about time.

So, how many of y'all replaced a spring your self on a 16' door? I can get the 1/2" bar stock rods and do it myself, but I keep thinking about the "what if" factor.......I can do it myself for about 100.00. vs. 275.00.

Shoot...there goes my open loop cooling adapter and/or my MC-1 waterbox LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1939.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	108872  

+1
    ok, I just called a number off of craigslist and I found a guy to replace both springs for 120.00 I kept asking a asking, is this for the spring and labor? he said yep.....so, we'll see
    and he'll be here in the hour

+1
    IMO write the check and move on. I was going to do mine last winter but just like you it wasnt worth taking the chance.

I paid $175 all up from the first guy in the book so the $120 doesnt surprise me.

+1
    ok, he came out, but can't do it this morning because the springs I have are extra tension springs due to the Hurricane Garage Door bracing I have. the extra weight basically. So, he's gonna run into town [Houston] and get the heavier springs and install at 4pm. Gonna be 160.00. Still not bad considering a local company wanted 275.00. He also showed me a SCAR where he had a spring inwind on him and dang near took his hand off at the wrist diagonally. So, that alone convinced me to write the check

+1
    Yes it is not worth it to try and do it your self. If that spring unwinds it can take you out. It for sure is not worth trying to do it your self.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

+100 and a finger

torsion spings are DIY killers, yours was pretty rusty, keep em oiled for longer life. They do have a "limited" lifespan, so paying extra for the HD ones even if you don't need them by code is a good idea.

My home doors are RV sized ( 12 ft, so it' be easy to get badly hurt by the door, I'm aware that the only thing holding that door up is a single spring, so I stay out of the "red zone" at all times.

Having a pro do it is well worth the money.

When we put the roll up door in my shop, the retractor system was of a much more modern design, and simple to install, but they still sell these killer springs with home doors, having one done today at my place ( a new door, not a replacement)

+1
    Dang.. LST straps at each truss.. That's nice and beefy..

+1
    I had mine replaced a few months ago,
    both springs $243 out the door, came with a 6 year warranty and a can of spray lube to keep them from rusting...
    after watching the guy do it, I would never try it myself.

I had two break on me at the same time once. It sounded like a bomb going off inside my garage!

+1
    I'm curious if the new ones this guy is bringing will be galvanized. the other company offered galvanized springs. I'll let y'all know

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information