Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

800 & 1200 INTAKE GRATE DIFFERENCES WITH PICTURES.

This is for those that might not have known. There is a lot of talk about these two grates, but there is not a lot of detailed pictures showing this difference----so Merry Christmas, and here you go.

The 1200 Grate is sold by Riva as Well as R&D, however R&D Makes both of them and Riva just helps market them and puts their name on it.
    The 1200 Grate has been proven time and time again to be the best overall riding plate for the GPR for a long time, especially for those looking for a great hold shot and for those looking to race in rough water---the hook up is unmatched.
    Now be careful, there are 2 types of 1200 grates out there to choose from----single bar grates and 2-bar grates. It is highly recommended that you buy the 2-bar grate, just for the shear fact of being stronger.
    The 800 Grate is available at R&D and several of their suppliers on-line and happens to be more expensive than any of the others (I wonder why??)
    The 800 grate has a different angle on the water scoop that forces the water into the pump --you will notice that this angle is not as steep as the 1200. This creates less drag, therefore providing you with a better top-end number.
    However you can't have the top end without giving something up in return. This means that you will lose your hole-shot due to cavitation; you will also lose some of your rough water hook-up as well.
    The 800 grate is for calm-moderate water conditions and is used mainly for top-end radar runs only.
    So how do you solve this issue????? You don't---you buy both and just interchange them. But overall the 800 is good for 1+ mph on average depending on your set-up.

Here are the pics. The 800 is on the left.

Notice the back of each intake grate and how the 800 on the left is curved at the back and the 1200 is strait across - so to speak.

Side view of the two grates ---the 800 having lesser of a scoop angle.

Front view - 800 on the right side of this picture--you can really see the angle pull difference in this pic.

+1
    good info

what does it mean when someone has a "blueprinted" intake grate? is it the same thing as the above pics?

David

+1
    i always wondered what the diff was, good write up mr. abbott

That 1200 looks familiar.

+1
    i always wondered what the diff was
    I've never even held an 800 grate, now I know the difference too now..... Thanks again for posting that John.

+1
    Houston we may have a problem here....

John, I'm holding a brand spanky new GP12/13R R&D grate here. They come with bolts these days too. The back edge is STRAIGHT across like that 800 grate you have pictured.

I have a brand new R&D 800 grate on a ski. I'll pull it off and lets compare pics.

I noted one of your grates was an old Riva.... the comparisons may go deeper than we think, and reveal some hidden problems with comparing some of thes parts. I have to work in a couple of hours, and pull off the 800 grate tommorow (among some other important gpr stuff.)

+1
    the one i posted with the straight edge across towards the rear was the 1200. The 800 i have was on the left (shiney).

I am confused

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT
    the one i posted with the straight edge across towards the rear was the 1200. The 800 i have was on the left (shiney).

I am confused
    Me too

+1
    Then I probably screwed up...again.

Lack of sleep does that. Sorry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information