Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

AGM Battery vs Harbor Freight Float Charger

Hello -

I got this float charger from Harbor Freight:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

In the manual, it says "This Float Charger is intended for maintenance of flooded or lead-acid batteries"

"WARNING: Do not use on AGM-type batteries."

"This charger maintains batteries rated from 5 to 125 amp/hr. Max charge of 13.2 VDC."

What's the deal? Does anyone use these Harbor Freight Float Chargers on AGM batteries? I find it hard to believe that it won't be OK, but it does say not to use on AGM batteries.

Thanks for any info!

-D-

+1
    I buy a lot of cheap tools at Harbor Freight...They work fine. When they break I buy more.
    However, a float charger is something for me that stays plugged in inside my garage all winter connected to a battery......unattended.
    I've seen first hand what happens to batteries when they are overcharged. Everything from lead acid to agm's...
    I guess there are some things I think are worth the money at harbor freight and others that are worth spending a little more for....
    A genuine Battery Tender Jr. is a whopping $29 at just about any autoparts store/boat shop.

Just my $.02...

+1
    I've got two Harbor freight battery float chargers that are very bit of ten years old. One for my show car, the other for the skis. I remember payng like 4.99 back then. They are still very affordable. Its just a basic float circuit monitor that keep the voltage up with a small trickle, cuts off. the main purpose of this is to prevent sulfation in the cells.

Stop staring at my tits
    To me taking a chance and burning down the place is not worth the few $s I would save.

I am using 6 of these right now. (On PWC, ATV, Bike.)

Also a Plus model on my truck

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batter...9651309&sr=8-1

I will buy their hand tools and hydraulics but their electronics are scary at best! heck they had a recall on their blade fuses
    sometimes they have brand name stuff like Wolo and That is fine but steer clear of Chicago electric (house brand) but buyer be wary! on anything they sell !

in other words! +1

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I buy a lot of cheap tools at Harbor Freight...They work fine. When they break I buy more.
    However, a float charger is something for me that stays plugged in inside my garage all winter connected to a battery......unattended.
    I've seen first hand what happens to batteries when they are overcharged. Everything from lead acid to agm's...
    I guess there are some things I think are worth the money at harbor freight and others that are worth spending a little more for....
    A genuine Battery Tender Jr. is a whopping $29 at just about any autoparts store/boat shop.

Just my $.02...

A Yankee in the South!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by D-Sect View Post
    Hello -

I got this float charger from Harbor Freight:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

In the manual, it says "This Float Charger is intended for maintenance of flooded or lead-acid batteries"

"WARNING: Do not use on AGM-type batteries."

"This charger maintains batteries rated from 5 to 125 amp/hr. Max charge of 13.2 VDC."

What's the deal? Does anyone use these Harbor Freight Float Chargers on AGM batteries? I find it hard to believe that it won't be OK, but it does say not to use on AGM batteries.

Thanks for any info!

-D-
    You really answered your own question....

If you spent the money for an AGM battery, you need to finish the job...and get a battery charger/maintainer that meets your AGM's specific needs!

The AGM battery that I picked up at Sears, recommended this inexpensive charger:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871219000P

I use it for all my battery needs...cars, truck, PWC, and boats.

+1
    They make a new battery tender that has I think 6 chargers on it now.I seen a commercial on Speedvision this week.

Stop staring at my tits
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I will buy their hand tools and hydraulics but their electronics are scary at best! heck they had a recall on their blade fuses
    sometimes they have brand name stuff like Wolo and That is fine but steer clear of Chicago electric (house brand) but buyer be wary! on anything they sell !
    Agree on the electronic stuff.

The Wolo, seen that in Wally World before, enough said there.

The C.E. stuff, some of it is NOT bad. Some of it is rebadged B&D stuff, just their "seconds".

I do see my local one selling some real name brand items now. This is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    They make a new battery tender that has I think 6 chargers on it now.I seen a commercial on Speedvision this week.

That would be nice for me, except that I have my toys all over the place and I keep the batteries in them. I just use the quick connects on them all.

$24 x 6 is I think still cheaper than what 1- 6 bank unit must cost. I guess I should check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information