Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump shoe and wear ring - quick question

Just want to make sure here, is the wear ring the only thing that comes in contact or seals with the pump shoe?

I see on a some models there is a plate between them (787 and lower) but not sure about the 951.

I'm working on fitting a 155 pump to a 96xp pump shoe and want to make sure i'm not missing something. It looks like to me just the wear rings seals up against the pump shoe, but i want to make sure im not missing anything. Looks like i just have to trim the pump in a little to make it fit into the shoe...

thanks for the input.

Dean

seadoo went through a few changes here and it would depend on year the 155mm pump is from. some 98's had nothing, some 98/99 models had a thin neoprene seal between pump shoe and wear ring/pump and some 99 and all 2000+ models have a neoprene/rubber seal around the outer diameter of pump that seals against pump shoe and edged of pump shoe lip.

if the back of your pump has a lip or indention where it seats in pump shoe, go to the dealer and buy the 8 buck seal. if it doesn't, just put some rtv in it to seal it. i'm sure you know what happens if you do not have a good seal here!!!

download a few of the manuals in the sticky post and look at the driveline.

+1
    If you are using a plastic pump, then trim away the lip that retains the rubber o-ring/seal. Try just trimming the larger diameter of the lip first to see if this gets you seated to the pump shoe. This will allow the wear ring to seat against the pump shoe. If you have to completely remove the lip, it'll be a fairly loose fit, so be sure to accurately position your mount bolt holes so you can properly align the engine. You'll need to use RightStuff or something comparable to seal the ring to the shoe.

PS: drawing of the template is in your PM box.

thanks for the quick response guys.

The pump i have came from a 99 gsx and is the brass pump.

In the manual it looks the wear ring has a lip to seal against the pump shoe. However my wear rings, see below, has no lip and i was a little worried that only .25" would seal to the pump shoe well. From the manual it also looks like there is a seal between the pump shoe and the wear rings so im guessing this will take care of the sealing issue?

couple pics:

Thanks!

Dean

+1
    Uh oh. You've probably picked the most difficult pump to start with.

The lip on the bronze-cored pump is a lot thicker than the plastic pump, and harder to remove. Plus I'd hate to hack up one of these since they are getting harder to find. You might want to see if you can pick up a plastic pump, as I think this will be easier to work with.

+1
    Are you planning on cutting the pump shoe opening to flare it to the 155mm?

hey

Shoot i guess i didn't realize this pump was the hardest doh

The red arrow in the pic is the lip i have to remove right? This is just plastic and i don't think it should be to hard to remove. The pump shoe is metal so that would be worse.

I was thinking about how to widen the pump shoe opening (this is where the water comes in right) and there seems like about .25" of metal that has to come off the pump shoe opening? It would probably make the big pump worthless if that wasn't opened up right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post
    hey

Shoot i guess i didn't realize this pump was the hardest doh Well, probably not the hardest, but not the easiest, either.

The red arrow in the pic is the lip i have to remove right? This is just plastic and i don't think it should be to hard to remove. The pump shoe is metal so that would be worse. Yes.

I was thinking about how to widen the pump shoe opening (this is where the water comes in right) and there seems like about .25" of metal that has to come off the pump shoe opening? It would probably make the big pump worthless if that wasn't opened up right? Not worthless, but it would help with flow. If you flare(chamfer) the backside of the shoe to blend in the point where the wear ring seats to the shoe, then the flow would be less turbulent. Not sure this is worth the effort? I see where you've scribed the diameter onto the shoe. I was thinking about removing this mat'l in a smooth transition to the front of the shoe.

Not sure this is worth the effort? I see where you've scribed the diameter onto the shoe. I was thinking about removing this mat'l in a smooth transition to the front of the shoe.
    Well worth the effort...i guess that's why we are starting now and not in the middle of the summer

That is a lot of material to remove all the way to the front of the shoe along with all the way around the ring of the shoe... It would be awesome to do that though.

I am going to have to think about how to remove that much mat'l. I was thinking about using a CNC and manually milling the material out to slope it into the ring on the shoe, and then I guess I would have to program the cnc to cut the ring open wider..but that shouldn't be to hard. I am going to think about that as i have open access to a cnc and that might be the fastest way.

Any other thoughts on how to remove that material. Not sure if there is enough time in the day to do it by hand...

thanks zig
    dean

ps, we will have to document all this for the next generation of winter project to have something to follow.

+1
    Here's my CNC! Cut 'N Cut some more!

BTW, notice all the yellow dust?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0053.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	108987  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information