Help - DI Fuel Pump

Can someone please tell me what the symptoms are of a failing 951 DI fuel pump? If a fuel pump was playing up and/or about to die, what would the tell tell sign be?

I would like to know what others have experienced when their DI fuel pump started to play up.

Cheers

Anyone?

You might want to post this over on Sea-Doo.net since PPG sees lots of DI pump failures and no one has replied. If I remember correctly, rpms are down to maybe 6000 rpms instead of 6900 and the engine sometimes surges ... Ron

+1
    put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what reading you get while you open the throttle. Watch the gauge and record it. Post up what you get. Thats the only way to figure out if your fuel pump is working. I believe its suppose to be a 35 or 40 psi. Look it up in the manual, I've never done it on a DI motor. I know the yamahas are around 45 psi.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what reading you get while you open the throttle. Watch the gauge and record it. Post up what you get. Thats the only way to figure out if your fuel pump is working. I believe its suppose to be a 35 or 40 psi. Look it up in the manual, I've never done it on a DI motor. I know the yamahas are around 45 psi.
    SHOOTER
    I think they are up around 105psi which is what they need to give the correct atomizing action at the injector nozzle. can you swap it from another working ski to isolate the problem as they are an expensive item if you get the diagnostics wrong .

I am going to try and drop it to another dealer tomorrow for them to do a proper pressure and flow test. I know they are expensive, but I want it fixed.

you are going to have a bogging issue if your fuel pump is starting to fail. If it completely failed it won't run at all. Your pump runs on high pressure so you are talking about 80 psi cranking, and about 120-140 psi max pressure I think. My specs are off I know it but these numbers are a lot higher than with the fuel pumps you see on 4-tecs. It is hard to diag a pump without the pressure tester to take your readings and you tend to have to run it in the test tank connected to fuel pressure gauge and if it drops while running means the mechanical portion of the pump is failing. Now some skis have emissions warranty for 5 years from purchase and depending on your ski and the year it was first purchased I got some pumps covered under warranty long after reg. warranty has passed. The pumps are super expensive too.. about 500-700 bucks! Might want to look at known good ones that are used! But if it sits too long the mechanical parts might fail soon and you'll be stuck in the same boat sooner than you want!

Thread Information