Hillsboro Inlet accident?

Just heard on the news that yesterday someone on a PWC severed their arm at the Hillsboro Inlet Marina. I couldn't find anything online about it. I hope it was not anyone we know.

From Miami Herald
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brow...ry/821461.html

Pompano Beach man's arm severed in watercraft crash
    A 22-year-old man's arm was severed in a personal watercraft accident near Pompano Beach Saturday afternoon, police said.

The man was riding with his brother when he got into an accident that severed his arm below the shoulder, said Sandra King, spokeswoman for Pompano Beach Fire Department.

The cause of the crash was unclear Saturday afternoon, but King said it's possible a towing rope might have triggered the incident.

Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue took the man to North Broward Medical Center as a search was conducted for the arm, King said.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

here's the scoop

Note:reposted to insure forum members avoid this type of tragedy in the future, all rights remain with the
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel Man's arm severed in a 'freak' accident with jet ski

By Sofia Santana |South Florida Sun-Sentinel 9:48 PM CST, December 20, 2008

Good reasons for both the operator and rider to know what they are doing.

Hope the operators insurance was up to date and mondo coverage, casue to excuse the pun, the operator is going to hang for the accident.
    -------------------

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A 22-year-old man's arm was severed in a personal watercraft accident Saturday near the Hillsboro Inlet in South Florida.

The man had been riding on an inner tube that was tied to the personal watercraft with a rope, which he had wrapped around his arm. A large wave apparently struck the watercraft and inner tube with such force that the rope tightened around the man's arm and cut right through, authorities said.

The 22-year-old, whose name and hometown were not released Saturday, was conscious and alert after the accident, and was taken to North Broward Medical Center about 4 p.m

Authorities, including a Broward County Sheriff's Office helicopter, scanned the waters in and around the inlet for the man's arm but could not find it, King said.

The limb was severed just below the man's shoulder, she said.

The man and his brother, who was driving the watercraft, were on their way back to shore when the accident happened, King said.

A passing boater picked up the injured man and his brother and took them to the Hillsboro Inlet Marina. There, on the south side of the inlet, paramedics met them, King said.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office is investigating the accident.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,4508517.story

+1
    how sad.........

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Note:reposted to insure forum members avoid this type of tragedy in the future, all rights remain with the
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel Man's arm severed in a 'freak' accident with jet ski

By Sofia Santana |South Florida Sun-Sentinel 9:48 PM CST, December 20, 2008

Good reasons for both the operator and rider to know what they are doing.

Hope the operators insurance was up to date and mondo coverage, casue to excuse the pun, the operator is going to hang for the accident.
    -------------------

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A 22-year-old man's arm was severed in a personal watercraft accident Saturday near the Hillsboro Inlet in South Florida.

The man had been riding on an inner tube that was tied to the personal watercraft with a rope, which he had wrapped around his arm. A large wave apparently struck the watercraft and inner tube with such force that the rope tightened around the man's arm and cut right through, authorities said.

The 22-year-old, whose name and hometown were not released Saturday, was conscious and alert after the accident, and was taken to North Broward Medical Center about 4 p.m

Authorities, including a Broward County Sheriff's Office helicopter, scanned the waters in and around the inlet for the man's arm but could not find it, King said.

The limb was severed just below the man's shoulder, she said.

The man and his brother, who was driving the watercraft, were on their way back to shore when the accident happened, King said.

A passing boater picked up the injured man and his brother and took them to the Hillsboro Inlet Marina. There, on the south side of the inlet, paramedics met them, King said.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office is investigating the accident.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,4508517.story
    gdi.....i cant stop shaking my head.........its so sad that this kid learned such a hard lesson from doing something that dumb.

Hillsboro Inlet is the last place u want to be tubing........knowing that area, I can absolutely understand how a big wave in there hitting at the right time and angle would do what it did. Hindsight is 20/20 i guess....he was prolly getting so fatigued holding on in those rough waters that he wrapped the arm to prevent fatigue.....and they were on their way back in too........so frickin sad.....

I let my guard down for 2 sec after wavejumping, my ski turned sideways, and a six footer crested, lifted me and my SHO in the air, and tossed the ski on top of me.......it was incredible.....couldnt believe it.

Think this is a lesson for all of us....get scared and stay sharp when u go out into the ocean.....esp the inlets.....if u get complacent you will get hurt. It's just a matter of time.

Did they ever find the arm?

Thread Information