+1

Any carpenters here?

What's work like for you right now? It's really starting to slow down here in western canada. New housing starts are down 60%

Reno's are slow as well. I guess people are just not willing to dish out the dough for housing right now.

I have alot of contractor friends. Everyone is slow.
    The few that are busy have taken work further away then their norm stomping grounds. They have also downsized the crews and pay is not what it was.

We all know the economy is bad but most that are truly hurting are keeping it low and not complaining. Things are much worse then they seem and we all know its bad.

As a whole and as a country, I think we are handling the economic crisis as optimistic as we can however behind closed doors is a different story. Alot of wishful thinking and many are hoping for the best. Reality has hit for some and everyone is on eggshells. Every week that goes by another industry is going down.

People like to keep things like bankruptcy and hunger pains quiet.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADSR View Post
    What's work like for you right now? It's really starting to slow down here in western canada. New housing starts are down 60%

Reno's are slow as well. I guess people are just not willing to dish out the dough for housing right now.
    Houston/Galveston area is pretty good from what I have heard, here is not bad either but with oil hovering around $40 a barrel, I don't expect it to last here

Two years ago the builders in my area saw the bubble burst.

Of the few customers who are out there, those who go the lowest bid, will get what they pay for.

Competetion is high. The strong and talented will survive on the few good jobs out there. The rest will have to compete with illegals and drunks for the crumbs, or go somewhere else. Some of the bigger companies have started bidding jobs on a zero profit margin...just keeping their crews busy.

I don't agree that everything's gone the way of the dinosaurs, or great depression...yet. I do believe most with money to invest have decided to go a more conservative road.

Most are waiting and seeing.

Banned User
    We (National Group) are one of the biggest GC's in Florida that specialize in insurance restoration and facitity management and we haven't had any work..We also went to Texas and lost $200,000 How can you compete against 20 mexican's in a pick up truck willing to work for 40.00 a day?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    We (National Group) are one of the biggest GC's in Florida that specialize in insurance restoration and facitity management and we haven't had any work..We also went to Texas and lost $200,000 How can you compete against 20 mexican's in a pick up truck willing to work for 40.00 a day?
    that is why I have to go back to Ohio for a few months.. 2005 cleared $500,000 and in 2008 lucky to,make $25,000.....bid on a job for a contractor that I have done business for 10 years for and alot of favors, lost a job that I should have been at $50,000 went to $40,000 and they said if I could do it for $30,000 it was mine hmm $15,000 in materials $17,000 in labor not counting my pay,, yep Iam gonna do that they told me sorry but, they are in such a position that they have to take the lowest bid

Im not a carpenter but I do drive a concrete mixer, so I kinda work in the field. 2 Years ago we had so many hours that the DOT was the only reason we had any time off. Now Im lucky if I get 30 hours a week! The only reason my company even has any work is because they were the lowest bidder on mud for a couple of huge projects locally. One of my friends works for annother concrete supplier and they have shut down 3 plants and layed off something like 40 people locally. Annother big supplier is rumored to be shutting down completely.
    When things started slowing down I opened my little home business doing PWC repair because I needed to make ends meet. Its not full time, but helping with my bills.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    that is why I have to go back to Ohio for a few months.. 2005 cleared $500,000 and in 2008 lucky to,make $25,000.....bid on a job for a contractor that I have done business for 10 years for and alot of favors, lost a job that I should have been at $50,000 went to $40,000 and they said if I could do it for $30,000 it was mine hmm $15,000 in materials $17,000 in labor not counting my pay,, yep Iam gonna do that they told me sorry but, they are in such a position that they have to take the lowest bid

Yep, that really sux.. 2005 we did 35 Million, this year 7 million..Yipes and most of that was collections from the year before

+1
    Surprisingly we are looking good. I'm in the excavating business. Five years ago we started to switch from mostly residential work to largely public work specifically a lot of schools. Now there is absolutely no residential work in the area and if there is people are doing it for nothing. Some of the contractors that catered to the builders are now going out of business.
    Now the one thing that has been hurting us recently has been the weather, it will not stop raining/snowing. It suxs but you can't change it. Oh well.

Thread Information