Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User

ET68-140 Clutch Washers

I've had a crazy time maintaining my slip with these new coated washers, so I took Sno Sno's advise and got belleville spring washers..My question is should I replace the junk coated washers when I change out the Spring washers and replace with Riva non coated? My inital set-up read 15 pounds of slip within 5 hours I was already down to 8 pounds of slip.. I can't keep chasing this dragon Shims will never get back 15 pounds of slip with these washers

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    I've had a crazy time maintaining my slip with these new coated washers, so I took Sno Sno's advise and got belleville spring washers..My question is should I replace the junk coated washers when I change out the Spring washers and replace with Riva non coated? My inital set-up read 15 pounds of slip within 5 hours I was already down to 8 pounds of slip.. I can't keep chasing this dragon Shims will never get back 15 pounds of slip with these washers
    Welcome to the real supercharger world my friend. With new wheels coming out pushing more boost is normal to only get 10-20 hours of good use out the clutch when it starts slipping if you are lucky. More boost, more slippage out your clutch system and parts wear out quicker too. You dont see that with a turbo set-up.....

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPT400 View Post
    Welcome to the real supercharger world my friend. With new wheels coming out pushing more boost is normal to only get 10-20 hours of good use out the clutch when it starts slipping if you are lucky. More boost, more slippage out your clutch system and parts wear out quicker too. You dont see that with a turbo set-up.....
    It has more to do with the coated washers than just SC maintance

+1
    Wow, 5 hours. That really puts these new high output superchargers in a new perspective. I would think you would want to replace the washers too. Their wear is what caused the loss of torque on the slip isn't it? Good luck with it Alex.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Their wear is what caused the loss of torque on the slip isn't it?
    I don't think so, I fell for the coated washer dream again... Coated washers don't work.. Don't believe the hype!!

+1
    Remember my postings over there now?

+1
    Alex,,If your gonna replace the spring washers i would suggest getting rid of the coated washers and replacing them with the new Rivas..Also Did you get the washers from McMaster Carr???? If so let me know cause you CANNOT use all 5 together..Your slip Will be out of this world.You are gonna have to mix and match some old with new..BUT from the SCers i have done this year with the new washers,The slip has not fallen off after running them all year...

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Alex. Have you checked the wear on your gear. I tryed the coated washers too. I let the masher try them a about year ago!!! The clutch lasted about one hour!!! They destroyed the gear!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    Alex. Have you checked the wear on your gear. I tryed the coated washers too. I let the masher try them a about year ago!!! The clutch lasted about one hour!!! They destroyed the gear!!

Ya What Nils said..Check the gear for spec also,Here is the thread on specs:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15971

Here is my findings on the new washers from McMaster Carr:

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Guys.....Anybody who has bought these washers DO NOT!!!!!I repeat DO NOT put all 5 of these in together....Your slip will be through the roof...I was replacing these on a SC with the new ET 137mm SC wheel today and after putting them all in and checking we found that surprisingly the slip was way over 200 inch/lbs..So we ended up having to mix and match the new spring washers with the OEM ones..We took 1 of the new washers and 4 of the old OEM ones and got a slip right around 90 inch/lbs.which is Ok for stock applications..Then we took 2 new washers and 3 OEM washers and ended up with a slip right around 117-118 inch/lbs..Which is ideal for a Greenwheel and equivalent..We then took and added 3 new washers and 2 OEM washers and the slip went up to 180-190 inch/lbs..Way to much for any SC assembly..So what we ended up doing was putting 3 new washers in with two OEM washers and then had to file off .50 mm off the spacer lock washer..That gave us a slip of 150 inch/lbs..Which is ok for a 137mm or 140mm ..I know alot of people orderd these and I just wanted to let you guys know before you put them in and messed up your SCers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Depending on what SC wheel and ECU your running...

Stock,Greenwheel with stock ECU-Up to and around 90 inch/lbs so 100 isnt gonna hurt

Greenwheel,S3 with S3 or rotax ECU 125 inch/lbs so 130 isnt gonna hurt

137mm and 140mm wheels-140 inch/lbs, so 150 and even 160 BUT your gonna have to give them some run in time....I dont recommend 160 and am iffy about 150 but i talked with someone who knows alittle about these today..And we seem to think 150-160 would be OK BUT they have to be run in like it was stated earlier..Give them a hour or two to "break in"

+1
    FYI. I am the one that checked Alex's slip and dont think there is anything abnormal to the wear on his gear or washers.......Alex. 5hrs? I'm pretty sure you had more than 5 hrs on it and your slip was still 110 in/lbs. before I shimmed it. Not bad if you ask me! Whats the problem? Also I checked the slip on 2 other ET's at the same time with the same exact results and I know for a fact that these 2 had 15+ hrs on them. As mentioned before, If you want to play with these big chargers you are going to have to check your slip more often!!!!!
    I know for a fact there has not been 1 ET 68-140 charger failure. No bearing failures, no washer failures, no BEARING failures, and no touch downs......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information