Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damaged Jet Ski opinion

First off got to say this is a great forum for Yamaha PWC fans, i have spent the day reading and searching and i found some answers but i rather ask the direct question and see what people think.

I own a 2002 GP1200R, this past hurricane season my ski suffered some damage and the rear right corner needs to be repaired it got significant damage and submerged under water. I honestly thought the ski was worthless but last friday i tried to start the ski and it did but shot allot of rust out the back but it started. I turned off the ski and left it there, yesterday with another ski i towed it to the marina to pull it out of the water to debate what i should do.

So far all i have done is taken out the plugs which were nasty of course and sprayed down the motor with CRC overall the engine bay looks great esepecially for being submerged for about 2 days until i was able to put it back on the dock. This saturday im going to put new plugs new oil and gas and try to give it a flush, now i saw rust coming out the back which scares me a bit but im not sure if its from inside the motor or if its from the water that sat in the exhaust that may have rusted it. Im going to give it a flush and see if the water gets cleaner or stays the same.

Now my question is should i try to flush it or should i take apart the motor and check the internals first? I have worked on cars all my life but never on skis so im not scared to do the job my self as long as its basic work.

Another question i have is it worth on getting the Hull repaired or should i try to find a new hull for the ski, i saw one guy had it for sale but by the time i read the post it was sold already.

Please help me out and chime in like to hear some thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0134_148.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	5568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0133_193.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	5569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0132_553.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	5570  

+1
    First of all, Welcome to the Forum ! you will find alot of help here for your GPR.

Do you have any pics of the damage ? Any damage needs to be be repaired period.
    Depending upon the cost of the repairs, you might be able to find another hull for a reasonable price. That may be more cost effective.
    There was recently a fast 2000 GPR hull on here that sold for 1500.00.
    Ask around on our wanted section, someone else may have one.

As for your motor, I would rebuild it. With it sitting that long under water, it is guranteed that the internals do not look good i.e.) surface rust on crank, residue from water, ect..ect..... Moisture is a killer for any motor.

Since it sounds like you are mechanically inclined (worked on cars), this should not be no hard task for you to do. These GPR's are easyt o work on.
    All I would stress is that you need to
    pay attention to detail
    be meticulous and
    use your resources !

Here is a link of some things you can do if you are going to rebuild your GPR. http://www.greenhulk.net/yamaha/view...ght=mods+first

It also has a link to the service manual which you will need.
    Also check out the FAQ / How-To section for more help.

+1
    Welcome !!!

I am with Billy. Definately go through the motor. Also, I have an 02 hull I might sell

+1
    Depends on how long you let the water sit in the engine. If you cranked it and blew out the engine right away, you might be ok (having been there and done that). If you let it sit for any length of time, you absolutely have rust damage to the crank/bearings, etc., not to mention needing carb rebuilds. Crack it open and take a peek.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum.

Well The motor has been sitting for about 5 months without turning over once, when i did try last week is turned over and turned on so i might be safe. I am in the process already of trying to take a look inside i started dissambling parts thanks to the help of the informative websites i found plus this forum. I will try to take some pictures of the rear but honestly i rather just get a new Hull in my opinion it will be allot better we will find out. Im going to be taking it to a body shop sometime this week see what they say.

As for the member selling the Hull maybe you can email me if you do decide to i could be interested. [email protected]

I also already contacted Mandys Performance but had no luck getting ahold of him i will try him tomorrow maybe he has a hull laying around.

well i will keep you guys posted and trust me i will have questions so look around for them so you can help this NOOB IN DISTRESS.

Cheers,
    Fernando

PS. thanks for not replying with do a search you noob, i hate be apart of a forum where people get annoyed by Noobs.

+1
    Welcome! You mention a hurricane, where do you live?
    It may run a while like it is, but you should rebuild. From what it sounds like, you could easily spend between between $1500 and $3K between the engine and the hull work. As for the engine work, don't be scared. I did it so anyone can. There are plenty of people who will walk you through the reuilding process. Get a good torque wrench and a repair manual. Do it and do it right. Do not skimp. You can check on repairing your hull, but odds are you could get a used hull and part yours out for less. Good luck and have fun with it. Look around and you can find good deals on all the parts or services you will need. Keep us all up to date.

+1
    yEp, you need another hull dude

+1
    Its done. Ck your e:mail

Quote Originally Posted by RX951
    yEp, you need another hull dude
    yeap!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information