Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Any RX-8 owners here?

I am looking at getting a "sports car" in the next year or so and I have been thinking the RX-8 might be a good choice for me since I have two small children. I have a couple of questions in regards to purchasing a used one.

I understand that the RX-8 burns oil so how do I know that the previous owner put oil in it when it was low? Is there a buzzer?

I would be looking at a 2004 or 2005 with around 40,000 miles. As soon as we get a break from the snow, I am going to find one to take for a test drive.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    I am looking at getting a "sports car" in the next year or so and I have been thinking the RX-8 might be a good choice for me since I have two small children. I have a couple of questions in regards to purchasing a used one.

I understand that the RX-8 burns oil so how do I know that the previous owner put oil in it when it was low? Is there a buzzer?

I would be looking at a 2004 or 2005 with around 40,000 miles. As soon as we get a break from the snow, I am going to find one to take for a test drive.
    i didn't know the rx-8's had the same problems as the 7's.....

I have heard nothing but problems with the RX's. On top of that they are pretty slow. I would consider a different sports car. Just my 2 cents.

Moderated
    i had an 04 and flogged it like a red headed step child every day of the week so much so i warped the front discs at one point

it also had its cat melt in 5000km but was fixed under warrenty

as for oil, the dont really burn it ....they (rx8's) drink it like we do beer and it has to be mineral oil, not normal synthetic oil which is not so easy to find.

theres no real way to tell if the previous owner really looked after it from what i can tell besides the usual like logbooks, receipts etc....and of course its condition.

ps: they really should have come out with 220kw not 180kw.

a buddy of mine worked at a mazda dealership, he basically told me the engine needs to be gone through about every 60,000 miles. he told me he saw many replacement engines done at that time....if thats any indication? sorry if this is bad news

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I have heard nothing but problems with the RX's. On top of that they are pretty slow. I would consider a different sports car. Just my 2 cents.
    +1 Slow...for a sports car

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    just let me build you something......i am starting a build up soon for a forum member from another jetski site.. mild build up mustang.. stock motor, headers, flowmaster axle dump exhaust,

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post

My buddy has one. It has NO torque. It is not fast at all. He did a bunch of bolt on mods and then had it dyno'd and it made 130whp.

If youre in the market for that type of car, buy a 350z. Its a shitload more car for the money

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    My buddy has one. It has NO torque. It is not fast at all. He did a bunch of bolt on mods and then had it dyno'd and it made 130whp.

If youre in the market for that type of car, buy a 350z. Its a shitload more car for the money
    +1 on the 350Z. One of my good friends has one and he leaves RX8's in the dust without even breaking a sweat.

Look at the new 370Z's coming out. Sharp car and they worked all the kinks out from the 350. Should be a solid car.

You could get a F-body for dirt cheap right now with low miles. Personally i think its a perfect sports car. Great engine, plenty of upgrades available, sky's the limit when it comes to performance, and very easy to wrench on. Plus i know there is a lot of people with ls1 engines knowledge on here that could help you out. To me it's not a sports car unless its packing a 8 or at least a 6 with forced induction RWD. Screw that rotary crap.

Ok here is the run down on the RX8 from what I know.

It is heavy
    It is underpowered
    It is junk when talking about the motor (the motors fail all the time)

Anyways, I would go with something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information