Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    785xp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    897
    +1
    7

    Any RX-8 owners here?

    I am looking at getting a "sports car" in the next year or so and I have been thinking the RX-8 might be a good choice for me since I have two small children. I have a couple of questions in regards to purchasing a used one.

    I understand that the RX-8 burns oil so how do I know that the previous owner put oil in it when it was low? Is there a buzzer?

    I would be looking at a 2004 or 2005 with around 40,000 miles. As soon as we get a break from the snow, I am going to find one to take for a test drive.


  2. #2
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    I am looking at getting a "sports car" in the next year or so and I have been thinking the RX-8 might be a good choice for me since I have two small children. I have a couple of questions in regards to purchasing a used one.

    I understand that the RX-8 burns oil so how do I know that the previous owner put oil in it when it was low? Is there a buzzer?

    I would be looking at a 2004 or 2005 with around 40,000 miles. As soon as we get a break from the snow, I am going to find one to take for a test drive.
    i didn't know the rx-8's had the same problems as the 7's.....

  3. #3
    Matthew K ReDevilRXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lemont, IL
    Posts
    2,477
    I have heard nothing but problems with the RX's. On top of that they are pretty slow. I would consider a different sports car. Just my 2 cents.

  4. #4
    Moderated
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,711
    i had an 04 and flogged it like a red headed step child every day of the week so much so i warped the front discs at one point

    it also had its cat melt in 5000km but was fixed under warrenty

    as for oil, the dont really burn it ....they (rx8's) drink it like we do beer and it has to be mineral oil, not normal synthetic oil which is not so easy to find.

    theres no real way to tell if the previous owner really looked after it from what i can tell besides the usual like logbooks, receipts etc....and of course its condition.


    ps: they really should have come out with 220kw not 180kw.

  5. #5
    AKA "The Guppy" JeffTurbo601's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    991
    a buddy of mine worked at a mazda dealership, he basically told me the engine needs to be gone through about every 60,000 miles. he told me he saw many replacement engines done at that time....if thats any indication? sorry if this is bad news

  6. #6
    RustySeaRustyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay-Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I have heard nothing but problems with the RX's. On top of that they are pretty slow. I would consider a different sports car. Just my 2 cents.
    +1 Slow...for a sports car

  7. #7
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    just let me build you something......i am starting a build up soon for a forum member from another jetski site.. mild build up mustang.. stock motor, headers, flowmaster axle dump exhaust,

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I have heard nothing but problems with the RX's. On top of that they are pretty slow. I would consider a different sports car. Just my 2 cents.

    My buddy has one. It has NO torque. It is not fast at all. He did a bunch of bolt on mods and then had it dyno'd and it made 130whp.

    If youre in the market for that type of car, buy a 350z. Its a shitload more car for the money

  9. #9
    Matthew K ReDevilRXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lemont, IL
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    My buddy has one. It has NO torque. It is not fast at all. He did a bunch of bolt on mods and then had it dyno'd and it made 130whp.

    If youre in the market for that type of car, buy a 350z. Its a shitload more car for the money
    +1 on the 350Z. One of my good friends has one and he leaves RX8's in the dust without even breaking a sweat.

    Look at the new 370Z's coming out. Sharp car and they worked all the kinks out from the 350. Should be a solid car.

    You could get a F-body for dirt cheap right now with low miles. Personally i think its a perfect sports car. Great engine, plenty of upgrades available, sky's the limit when it comes to performance, and very easy to wrench on. Plus i know there is a lot of people with ls1 engines knowledge on here that could help you out. To me it's not a sports car unless its packing a 8 or at least a 6 with forced induction RWD. Screw that rotary crap.

  10. #10
    Chrisrokc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,667
    Ok here is the run down on the RX8 from what I know.

    It is heavy
    It is underpowered
    It is junk when talking about the motor (the motors fail all the time)



    Anyways, I would go with something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Any SXS owners here?
    By Guidoo in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 08:04 PM
  2. 2005 Chevrolet 2500 Diesel Any owners here?
    By E.v in forum Towing and Trailers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 01:45 PM
  3. Any Lodi/Stockton to the Bay Area owners here???
    By RXP Keith in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
  4. Any halo fans in here??
    By Fuhreal in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 12:41 AM
  5. Are there any Ottawa riders on here???
    By boataddict in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •