Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TO O.P.A.S. or NOT TO O.P.A.S.

OK just after some of your expert advice. I have purchused a Piranah Parts Through Hull Exhaust which I'm currently fitting on my RXT-X...

I do not need to Remove the O.P.A.S. for this set up but I have the Block offs to Install...I think I will need to pull off one of the Flippers so I can get a ratchet in there to do up the hose clamp as I can't reach the back of the ski through the top...My daughter is only 5 she would fit in there but dosn't understand what I need her to Do.......

Anyway since I will have one flipper off...Should I go all the way or leave the O.P.A.S connected....Pros and Cons to go either way would be appreciated....I ride mostly in the ocean...But enjoy the estuary cruising with three on the ski....+ I may look to race a bit next year...

Thanks in Advance.....

Pooche

90% will tell you take them off that they like it better without and it gains a little top speed. But they do turn better at all speeds with them and some wish they had them back on their ski. Personally, mine are still on the ski and have been blocked up with PVC pipe since day 2 as I'm not willing to sacrifice the handling for the small speed gain.

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    I like them for racing.......As do most......As I agree with the post above about the little speed gain you do get is not worth the superior turning even for the pig hull.....

i like opas 4 playing but had to take them off for the riva i/c and throughhull

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    OK just after some of your expert advice. I have purchused a Piranah Parts Through Hull Exhaust which I'm currently fitting on my RXT-X...

I do not need to Remove the O.P.A.S. for this set up but I have the Block offs to Install...I think I will need to pull off one of the Flippers so I can get a ratchet in there to do up the hose clamp as I can't reach the back of the ski through the top...My daughter is only 5 she would fit in there but dosn't understand what I need her to Do.......

Anyway since I will have one flipper off...Should I go all the way or leave the O.P.A.S connected....Pros and Cons to go either way would be appreciated....I ride mostly in the ocean...But enjoy the estuary cruising with three on the ski....+ I may look to race a bit next year...

Thanks in Advance.....

Pooche

Dejavue, I have been working on this issue with STS performance.
    He wanted to keep the OPAS and really there is only one option for keeping OPAS and rear thru hull. That is the Pirahana pipe. Yes some (very few) have claimed to have thru hull setup with opas but i have yet to see any pics or seen how they did it?

Here are my questions. Basically if you are doing thru hull on 3 seater then you really have to remove the opas on left side to be able to complete install.
    I would like to know how a person can tighten up any clamps on back on thru hull without removing opas or block off.
    Has anyone installed the Pirahana pipe on a 3 seater and if so how?????? Did you access thru hull on left side Opas????

The way i see it, to remove opas to access thru hull, you would have heck ever getting the black rubber boots back on and installed.
    Again, if someone has done this please chime in.

We are talking about RXT's or GTX's not RXP's

Pooche, if you do this and leave OPAS on please let us know how you did it.

To your quesiton, I think opas helps the couch turn over no opas.
    With OPAS you can turn the ski without alot of throtle. Without OPAS it takes throtle to get the ski to turn at all.
    I dont like the way the opas grabs at WOT crossing wakes or chop, so i prefer to ditch it for RE's.

opas

the only way to be sure is go out with a few tools and ride the ski then take the paddles off and ride again and see how it changes the handling if you like it remove the rest of the opas if you dont just refit the paddles.
    its hard to know the exact changes when you do it at the shop then go ride days later.

I HATE opas.. my opinion....
    No fun to turn and spin.. hard to cut real tightly with
    lots of throttle.
    I also hated the "pulling" effect when you hit wakes, etc.

I think it has it's place with more of a beginner or a family
    boat with lots of diff. drivers.

IF i were starting over, I'd prob do the more expensive RE block
    offs with the extensions though..

I've just been riding way to long for a mfr. to give me
    an imposed crutch..
    The kawi system that adds idle speed while turning sucks
    even worse though.. I don't think you can turn it off.

thanks for your responses... I have the exhaust in there and it looks as though it will fit without removing OPAS completly maybe just remove to do up hose clamp....I'm going to not use the rubber bushes and instead apply a liberal amout of black marine sikaflex....On reflection it looks as though my only drama with the install will be the tightning of the hose clamp(Famous last words)....hopeing to have it done today I'll be sure to post lots of pics and small sound clip....

Thanks

Pooche

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    thanks for your responses... I have the exhaust in there and it looks as though it will fit without removing OPAS completly maybe just remove to do up hose clamp....I'm going to not use the rubber bushes and instead apply a liberal amout of black marine sikaflex....On reflection it looks as though my only drama with the install will be the tightning of the hose clamp(Famous last words)....hopeing to have it done today I'll be sure to post lots of pics and small sound clip....

Thanks

Pooche

Sounds good. Many would like to see how you tighten up the clamps on thru hull with opas.

i have opas on with greenhulk water box and it was made for riva thru hull had opas off and wish never took off just drill higher than riva mount and just use little longer hose to connect.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information