Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Yam fx140 depth gauge

Can anyone recommend a depth gauge?

I've seen Norcross Hawkeye D11S Depth Sounder's go for around $100 - cant really find any others in the UK that look ok.

The reviews i have read are that they are rated upto 70mph altho one review said over 10 it doesnt read right.

I was also wondering if anyone has had success in fitting one and if so can advising on how to fit the thru the hull (transponder?) part and where abouts...

Thanks guys

+1
    I saw that spaceman installed one on a GPR:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=75638&page=3

Send him a pm...maybe he can help you out.

fitted 3 of these (Norcross Hawkeye) to various skis and have given up on them. They have got a life expectancy of a few times out in the sea as not what I would call fit for purpose...

Also if the ski is out of the water it doesn't read the depth, so if the conditions are anything other than flat it doesn't read the depth at any speed that the ski starts jumping over waves or chop.

Thanks guys appreciate the heads up.
    Have a good xmas!

I mostly agree with Kevski. I have tried two Norcross Hawkeye's on my 2004 FX HO Cruiser. The thru hull configuration never worked so I finally mounted it outside at the back. It works most of the time but rarely at high speeds. I still find it a great help cruising rivers at slower speeds where the depth can change quickly.

My buddy researched and did this.
    He came down to two options where one gave him high speed readings but it had to have 3 and 1/2 feet of water and the other only low speed readings and it had to have 6 inches of water.
    I'll find out more details next time we speak.

+1
    A dedicated garmin transducer will work (hooked up to a chart plotter). Transducer needs to be mounted just under the intake hose in the rear compartment with neutral cure silicone to test......epoxy should give best results but does not always appear to.
    The Norcross transducer is half the power of the garmin, & I believe this is why it gives trouble shooting through a twin skin hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    A dedicated garmin transducer will work (hooked up to a chart plotter). Transducer needs to be mounted just under the intake hose in the rear compartment with neutral cure silicone to test......epoxy should give best results but does not always appear to.
    The Norcross transducer is half the power of the garmin, & I believe this is why it gives trouble shooting through a twin skin hull.
    So the transducer can be mounted without cutting a hole in the hull? Could you post some pics? I have a Garmin 76CSX and after reading your post I learned that it has a depth field on the map page. If I drill a hole in my mount I could attach a data cable, but I'm not sure how watertight it would be.

+1
    I've seen an FX here with a garmin sounder fitted....held good depth readings at speed, when in contact with the water. Transducer was mounted inside the hull....no holes required! I was going to connect one to my 276c on my HO but decided not to in the end.......chartplotter is more important here as there are alot of granite heads around (as a pose to sandbars, where a sounder would come in handy).

Good reading here,
    http://pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t...min+transducer

RD has the same sort of set up as disscussed above, some of the pics are missing but there is one of the transducer mount position.

+1
    Thanks for the info Voltrex. A depth sounder would come in handy for me since I often ride in inland and brackish water areas where charts can't be trusted since depths are always changing and water is too murky to see bottom. I'm assuming I would have to hard wire a power cord since I doubt the 2 AA's in the unit would be sufficient.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information