Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

bom booom boooom boooooooom booooooooom

hey all went out today for the 1st time since i put a hole in my ski and got some new parts , jumped in the water done some slow crusing didnt notice anything thought ill give it a nice hit to see how it goes , this thing pulled like a bat out of hell pulled back looked to see if anything was wrong everything sounded good took off again flying coming around a bend felt a jolt engine stopped and that sinking feeling come and relised it was me that was sinking the ski went under had to by myself swim with the ski back to shore nearly half a km away got it on the trailer checked everything can not find the where the water got in from engine and everything was water logged , when i checked under neath i seen heaps of water coming from the where the shaft was and realised that i clamp was missing , now can this be the place where the water come in from or is theere somewhere else i should look and what should i do to the engine now

any info will be great

thnaks all

Quote Originally Posted by josh_m View Post
    hey all went out today for the 1st time since i put a hole in my ski and got some new parts , jumped in the water done some slow crusing didnt notice anything thought ill give it a nice hit to see how it goes , this thing pulled like a bat out of hell pulled back looked to see if anything was wrong everything sounded good took off again flying coming around a bend felt a jolt engine stopped and that sinking feeling come and relised it was me that was sinking the ski went under had to by myself swim with the ski back to shore nearly half a km away got it on the trailer checked everything can not find the where the water got in from engine and everything was water logged , when i checked under neath i seen heaps of water coming from the where the shaft was and realised that i clamp was missing , now can this be the place where the water come in from or is theere somewhere else i should look and what should i do to the engine now

any info will be great

thnaks all
    Hmmmmmm.......

, when i checked under neath i seen heaps of water coming from the where the shaft was and realised that i clamp was missing , now can this be the place where the water come in from or is theere somewhere else i should look and what should i do to the engine now

any info will be great

thnaks all
    Yep that's a good place to start. search on flooded engine. Green Hulks got it all . Merry Christmas and a Happy New y ea r.

+1

any info will be great

thnaks all

Sounds to me that the c clip came loose on the shaft holding the carbon seal and then shreaded the seal.. I just had this happen to me myself I have 100 hours on my ski.. good luck make sure all the water is out of the motor before re cranking it .. pull the plugs and turn her over.

+1
    I did this once ... I changed the carbon seal and a bunch of other things over the winter. Went out to ride, idled around with the seat off, no leaks, everything looked good. Went up on plane, about 1/2 throttle, seemed good, opened it up, ski sounded/felt funny, so I stopped. Checked, lots of water in the hull, my bilge pump was running ... but I could not see water coming in. After the hull was mostly dry I fired up again ... at idle, no leaks, as soon as I nailed it, lots of water came in around the carbon seal. When I looked closer I realized that I had missed tightening the clamp around the carbon seal ... Idled to the dock, tightened the clamp up good, went back out, no issues.

What I learned is that there is SIGNIFICANT water pressure in the pump tunnel at speed. Oh, and that bilge pumps are a really SMART addition!

As jammer1 said, do a search on "Flooded Engine" for a complete procedure.

You need to get the water out as soon as possible. Is this fresh water or salt water, because salt water is much worse on the internals of the engine.

You will need to change the oil at least 4 times. Get some cheap mineral oil, a few oil filters and a vacuum pump to suck the oil out the dipstick.

Make sure you pull the plugs and crank the engine over with the plugs out! If you try to start it with the plugs in, any water in the combustion chamber can hydrolock (water does not compress) the engine and bend the connectiong rods. After you get the water out of the cylinders, pull the hoses of the SC and let them drain, then pull the intake manifold and drain the water out of it. You will also need to start the engine after the first oil change. The engine should try to start at this point. After it starts, it idle for a little while, change the oil, and repeat until the engine oil is clean. You might want to pull the engine oil filter and leave it out while you do the oil changes. Water in the oil can cause the oil filter to colapse, and that's not good. Post your progress so we can help.

If you take this to a dealer, expect it to site until after the holidays which will mean a hugh bill for you and a big profit for them. Good luck... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I did this once ... I changed the carbon seal and a bunch of other things over the winter. Went out to ride, idled around with the seat off, no leaks, everything looked good. Went up on plane, about 1/2 throttle, seemed good, opened it up, ski sounded/felt funny, so I stopped. Checked, lots of water in the hull, my bilge pump was running ... but I could not see water coming in. After the hull was mostly dry I fired up again ... at idle, no leaks, as soon as I nailed it, lots of water came in around the carbon seal. When I looked closer I realized that I had missed tightening the clamp around the carbon seal ... Idled to the dock, tightened the clamp up good, went back out, no issues.

What I learned is that there is SIGNIFICANT water pressure in the pump tunnel at speed. Oh, and that bilge pumps are a really SMART addition!
    That's funny. Because I'm having the same issue right now. Idle no leaks. Under power I check under and there is spray marks all over the place, mostly on the air intake. After awhile a descent amount of water gets in. I have the carbon seal clamps as tight as possible though. I think I'm going to pick up a new c-clip. Some water does seem to get in after the ski is sitting in the water for awhile, but I can't see it coming in. The only other place I can think of is where the front bolt that holds the intake grate in comes into the hull.

+1
    There is a boil out procedure for getting the water out of your oil. Find a service manual and it will have the steps you will need to do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    That's funny. Because I'm having the same issue right now. Idle no leaks. Under power I check under and there is spray marks all over the place, mostly on the air intake. After awhile a descent amount of water gets in. I have the carbon seal clamps as tight as possible though. I think I'm going to pick up a new c-clip. Some water does seem to get in after the ski is sitting in the water for awhile, but I can't see it coming in. The only other place I can think of is where the front bolt that holds the intake grate in comes into the hull.
    If anything is touching the carbon seal bellow/ boot it can cause the same issue. Although usualy when they leak water in they also suck air out under acceleration causing bad cavitation.

Have you got the water out of the cylinders and changed the oil yet? Are you having any problems?... Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information