Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

open or closed loop

hey guys wondering what yall think is better to run, the open loop or closed loop on the rxt what are they advantages and disadvantages?

+1
    I know there is a lot of controversy on this but closed loop is good for about 1.5 MPH on the RXT. The open loop is good for about 3MPH (I think). Only thing is that with the open loop you have to have a temp gauge and some sort of control on the water flow to be able to run it at optimal temperature. With closed loop there are no worries, you have the thermostat. Its all in what you want to run. I am doing the closed loop just to gain the little extra but not have to worry about the hassle of making sure the ski is running at optimal temps every time climate changes. Search around on the forum and you will find yourself reading for hours. Plus even though I flush my ski thoroughly with salt away I like the fact that since I ride in salt water I have coolant cooling my motor rather than salt water.

What kind of water do you run in - fresh or saltwater?... Ron

+1
    Pros....
    1. should yield 1.5mph over modded closed loop
    2. cooler running engine
    3. cleaner engine bay......less clutter
    4. you wont know if you blow a head gasket in the typical coolant passage area.

cons...
    1.corrosion ........mainly in salt water!
    2.need to monitor temp.......... dont want it too cold.
    3.you wont know if you blow a head gasket in the coolant passage area.

What else can you guys think of?
    How does it compare as far as handling?
    Do you think the cooler running engine will help detonation with high boost?

+1
    I personally believe the closed loop cooling is a genius idea. If you've ever taken apart a used open loop boat or PWC engine, you find the water jacket full of sea weed and corrosion. I don't want that in the water jacket of my turbocharged EFI 4 stroke!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I personally believe the closed loop cooling is a genius idea. If you've ever taken apart a used open loop boat or PWC engine, you find the water jacket full of sea weed and corrosion. I don't want that in the water jacket of my turbocharged EFI 4 stroke!
    I have to agree. For function, reliability and worry free and maintenance free operation, it can't be beat. Even fresh water lakes can have a high alkaline content and some are full of trash. 1.5 mph isn't worth the worry for my rec purposes.

i'd say its brachish, lake water and mostly bayou riding i do

Banned User
    +1
    HIGHLY DEPENDING on ski and setup...range of gains are:

CLOSED LOOP = 0.5-1.5mph gain
    OPEN LOOP = 1.5-4.0mph gain

There is only so much you can gain from a closed loop plate, because you must retain the cooling system. If you bring the material down too much, you risk cracking the plate...

Open loop plates vary dramatically, as the configurations depend on the person who is doing the modifying...THEREFORE, open loop plates are scattered.

However there are other ways to maintain a closed loop system, while still being able to do whatever you want to the plate! A water to water heat exchanger, like mark used in his original GPRXP. you take water from the pump, and use it to cool and intercooler that cools the engine coolant (that came out sounding odd, haha. I forget his cheif complaints, If I recall he found it overkill and it ran cold. Or not to be worth the trouble and extra piping, I forget? He can say much more on what he thought of it. Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    HIGHLY DEPENDING on ski and setup...range of gains are:

CLOSED LOOP = 0.5-1.5mph gain
    OPEN LOOP = 1.5-4.0mph gain

There is only so much you can gain from a closed loop plate, because you must retain the cooling system. If you bring the material down too much, you risk cracking the plate...

Open loop plates vary dramatically, as the configurations depend on the person who is doing the modifying...THEREFORE, open loop plates are scattered.

But from all the stats I've seen, and numbers people report, everyone running open loop tends to be a little faster, even with the same mods... I've decided it has to do mostly with hull angle, and pump intake angle etc... anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information