Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MP3 Downloads?

+1

MP3 Downloads?

My son got a MP3 player for x-mas. What are some good sites to get music? I have been out of the loop for several years.

My daughter got one for her birthday a few weeks ago. After searching I found this site.... http://www.aimini.net/ It seems to work OK but there are probably better sites

I use soulseek and sharezaa

soulseek is good for getting entire albums.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which download sites you choose partially depends on what kinds of music you are after, and whether you are willing to pay a little (or anything).

Be aware that many of the music sharing systems harbor Trojans, spyware, and other nasties. In some cases, this stuff is embedded right into the core file sharing software.

Also, some of these systems insist on opening up your computer to internet traffic from other computers, not only for music sharing, but for other purposes.

You do not want your computer to become part of one or more BOT networks. Bots can slow your machine down, drive up your Internet traffic load, and are often very difficult to detect once they become active, let alone remove from your computer.

The best protection is to allocate a separate/older computer for File or Music download access, and only use that computer for music downloading and such. Keep it separated from all the other computers on your home network (no file or printer sharing). Use a CD-R or USB thumb drive to copy MP3 files for use on other computers, never a network connection. This limits the amount of damage that can be caused by dangerous software or malware.

In my own case, I have a completely separate Internet connection just for the file sharing computer, no connection at all to my main home network. I have a full Windows hard drive image backup on DVD. If that computer gets contaminated, I can just restore Windows from the backup disc, and carry on. The music and other downloaded files are stored on a separate physical hard drive from Windows. An external USB drive works well for music storage, since it can be unplugged while I check for Windows/malware problems.

www.limewire.com
    it is free

+1
    i stick with itunes...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Which download sites you choose partially depends on what kinds of music you are after, and whether you are willing to pay a little (or anything).

Be aware that many of the music sharing systems harbor Trojans, spyware, and other nasties. In some cases, this stuff is embedded right into the core file sharing software.

Also, some of these systems insist on opening up your computer to internet traffic from other computers, not only for music sharing, but for other purposes.

You do not want your computer to become part of one or more BOT networks. Bots can slow your machine down, drive up your Internet traffic load, and are often very difficult to detect once they become active, let alone remove from your computer.

The best protection is to allocate a separate/older computer for File or Music download access, and only use that computer for music downloading and such. Keep it separated from all the other computers on your home network (no file or printer sharing). Use a CD-R or USB thumb drive to copy MP3 files for use on other computers, never a network connection. This limits the amount of damage that can be caused by dangerous software or malware.

In my own case, I have a completely separate Internet connection just for the file sharing computer, no connection at all to my main home network. I have a full Windows hard drive image backup on DVD. If that computer gets contaminated, I can just restore Windows from the backup disc, and carry on. The music and other downloaded files are stored on a separate physical hard drive from Windows. An external USB drive works well for music storage, since it can be unplugged while I check for Windows/malware problems.
    You should check out Virtual PC from Microsoft. Runs right on a windows system. Set it for undo disks and it will ask you if you want to save changes everytime you shut down. If your virtual machine becomes infected from P2P site just shut it down without saving changes and restart.

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    i stick with itunes...
    +1..........for video. music is from limewire

Canadian POWERHOUSE CanadianGPR's Avatar
    +1
    For full albums I use Mininova.org, its good if you are familiar with torrents.

I do NOT recommend Limewire. Limewire is a cancer on your PC. Christina downloaded tons of stuff with Limewire on our old PC and it brought in viruses faster than our virus removal program could get rid of them. I know several other people who had the same problem. It eventually caused our computer to crash.

We now have a separate computer just for downloads. I had it built for fast downloads and tons and tons of storage. One of my former students built it for me very inexpensively.

As long as you have virus protection and anti-spyware you should be ok to download. We had both and limewire still managed to do that machine in. Just a word to the wise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information