starter's jambed up sl780

So i have the motor mostly apart and the starter is just jambed in the end bell of the motor. Are there any tricks for getting it free. Tried wedges and lightly beating on it.
    Also have the crank free. The rear cylinder's connecting rod had come apart at the lower end and self distructed. I unjammed the pieces and now have to get a machine shop to see if its rebuildable.The case is pretty un-marred.The connecting rod bearing surface on the crank was kinda blue and rough.I guess they'll check to see if it;s in phase..etc.
    I have another 780 to take apart. Were hopping with two Frankenstein motors we can get one good one/
    thanks for help
    rich

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you have removed the two mounting bolts at the rear of the starter, then it just 'slides' rearward out of the sleeve in the flywheel housing.

You may need to let some rust penetrant soak in around the front of the starter motor, then use some 'force' to get it to slide rearwards. There is an O-ring around the starter motor snout.

Jeff at Midwest Crankworks seems to be well regarded for Poalris crank shaft rebuilds, but I expect he is busy with snow mobile engine cranks at the moment.

You can find his phone number by searching on here for midwest

I talked with someone from midwest and they said they could rebuild my crank for as low as 200.00 ,depending on parts. They also asked if it was the PTO cylinder....which it was for both my units. They were quick to point out that several of the 780 fail this way ...........from water intrusion......Any thoughts? How long do leave the hose water running with engine off before you fill up a cylinder?
    Rich

Oh! Also,
    When i finally got the starter out of the hole it had just sheared off the aluminum on the snout of the starter. That thing was corroded so bad it was like welded together. The second unit i worked on was in better shape. Tough to come apart but all there. I used some heat on it.
    Rich

How long do leave the hose water running with engine off before you fill up a cylinder?
    not 1 second IMHO that is a bad practice!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by desertmariner View Post
    ...How long do leave the hose water running with engine off before you fill up a cylinder?...
    Negative 10 seconds or so.

Stop the water before you stop the engine, and many of us stop the water and then firmly burp the throttle once before engine shut down, just to make sure there is zero water left in the exhaust pipe when the engine stops rotating.

You want the exhaust pipe to be as dry as possible, short of overheating the engine by running it without water. Not only to keep liquid water out, but also to keep steam, moisture, and condensation out of the engine while it sits. When the engine is off, there is always at least one piston exhaust port open to the exhaust manifold.

Water in the exhaust manifold can and will work its way back into the motor. You want to minimize how much does.

Thread Information