Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Possible starter relay problem

I charged my battery and went for a spin.The ski started fine.After a few rides I pressed the start button and it was almost like an intermittent sound (spun on and off) then finally started.After I got home and it cooled down it starts fine.Any ideas what it could be? starter relay?

This happens every now and then on my 02 4tec. I hit the start button and I can hear the fuel pump run and then shut off after a couple seconds. I connected a tiny 12V LED across the 2 wires going to the starter relay so I could see if the relay was getting voltage during the no start. It was not. Looking at the wiring diagram I saw that the coil inside the start relay connects to the ECU and MPEM. So I checked connections at the ECU and MPEM (they were fine) and cleaned the ground wires on the engine block and battery. The problem seemed to go away for a while but since it's an intermittant problem it eventually came back. Then I got to thinking that since the start relay is activated by the ECU which has to have the right signal from the DESS post and module that maybe something got corrupted there. So I pulled the key off the post and put it back on, got the 2 beeps, and hit the start button. It fired right up! This has happened a couple times since and every time I will look at the LED and see no voltage to the starter relay coil. I'll then pull the key off, put it back on and it will fire right up. I have no idea if the problem is in the key, key post, DESS module or somewhere else. I don't think it's in the start button as the fuel pump runs when I press it which tells me it's making contact. Hopefully somebody will come along that has seen this before and help us isolate the problem to a specific part. If I had to GUESS it would be a bad key or key post although both look fine to me. I really hate throwing $$ at an intermittant problem like this by just guessing which part might be bad and installing a new one. Blindly throwing new parts at a Seadoo can get expensive fast.

+1
    For me it was the brown-ish/tan relay mounted on the side of the MPEM bracket. They're approx. $40 new from a dealership.

My dad's 2005 RXT did this. You would press the start button and hear one click or nothing at all. If you kept pressing it, it would finally start. Ended up being the starter relay. Part number is 278001802.

Today we charged the batteries on both skis and went to fire them up. The ski just made loud clicking. Battery didn't have enough juice to spin the starter. New battery fixed this.

Chances are it's a starter relay you need.

Yep, I agree, throw a starter relay on it and let us know what happens.

i have the same problem with my 07 RXP before i go riding it starts strong and perfect and after a little while riding it if i shut the ski it wont start like the battery is dead and cant turn the engine when it cools off like after 30 min or so it runs back normal again
    what should i do to fix this problem ?
    i changed the rectifire based on what my stupid dealer told me but nothing happened still have the same problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magookw View Post
    i have the same problem with my 07 RXP before i go riding it starts strong and perfect and after a little while riding it if i shut the ski it wont start like the battery is dead and cant turn the engine when it cools off like after 30 min or so it runs back normal again
    what should i do to fix this problem ?
    i changed the rectifire based on what my stupid dealer told me but nothing happened still have the same problem ?
    First thing I would do is sell the known good old rectifier and get some of your money back. You really need to measure the voltage at the battery when this happens. If the battery voltage is 12.5 VDC and doesn't go down any, either solenoid relay isn't cutting current through to the starter, or the starter is flakey. If you jump the the solenoid and it cranks, it's the solenoid. If you jump the solenoid and nothing happens, it's prpbably the starter. I picked up a used starter from a Sea Doo dealer on eBay for $45 inc shipping... Ron

so if i change the starter i`ll be ok ? or do i have to change the starter and the solenoid

+1
    jump the solenoid and if it doesn't start then get a new starter.

i jumped the solenoid and it didnt start and the new starter cost alot on the OEM store it says 429$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information