Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

15F Overheats at idle only ???

My wifes 15F gets hot and pisses steam after you idle for 2-3 minutes - WOT is fine.

I've removed the dual-port strainer on top of the nozzle and it's fine. I've also pulled the hose from the front of the motor and can blow through it fine, so no restriction there.

Now, when I hook up a hose to that front water port on the motor, I can also blow through that and water comes out of the pisser and from under the ski (pump area, as it's supposed to). The pressure required to push that water out was minimal - makes me wonder if maybe there is something internal to the engine or some other restrictor that is supposed to be there that might not be working? Something that makes sure enough water pressure gets to the motor? I'm sure there is no thermostat - but perhaps something in-line that I haven't found?

Thanks guys
    Jeff

Salt and sand build-up in cooling passages. The search key will give you details of symptoms and proper fix from people that ride in salt water.

I do appreciate the reply.

This popped up out of nowhere. Like, it ran fine every weekend and all of a sudden, this. I
    ve been riding a while and I dont run in sand - always flush well. Im not ruling it out, but I doubt build up would show its face so suddenly.

I ran it again tonight and the waterbox/exhaust got SUPER hot - same thing happens, pisses out steam. Maybe a flow problem to the exhaust.... I'm going to have to check all the hoses I guess - some of those suckers are really under there.

I had the same exact thing happen to me. At anything above idle the ski seemed to run fine, but at idle, it overheated and started to pissout steam. I was about to grin and bear it and take it to a "stealer" when I decided to take a final look. I should say that I am a complete clutz when it comes to mechanics. At anyrate, with a friend I shined a light into the nozzle for the last time when we noticed a small "string" hanging. Upon further investigation it was discovered that a tiny piece of plastic was cought in between the impeller and somethig else. It was no larger than a nickle. We had to take the nozzle off from the back end and finaly dislodged the offending piece. Apparently, this small piece was blocking some kind of cooling hose.

I found the problem. Turns out a friend of ours had the same issue and now that I've seen it, I believe it to be a potential problem for all 04-05 15Fs.

There is a hose that goes from the bottom nipple of the exhaust (just past the first blue coupler) to the engine, under the intake - you cant miss it. Under the intake, the hose connects to a piece that bolts to the side of the head. This nipple disintegrates inside the rubber hose, creating a solid clog. The replacement part from Kawasaki has a brass nipple on it, so I think they too have identified this as an issue. You must disconnect the intake and set it down (I left it in the ski with most of the connections still hooked up) to get access to the hose end. You can re-use the intake gasket if you use some copper spray on it.

It's amazing to me that Kawasaki didn't issue a recall on this, as it can leave you stranded and can seriously damage your engine. It is bound to happen on any 15F ridden in saltwater without the brass nipple piece.

+1
    Yea friend with issue here.

It will leave you stranded as it will completely blow the hose right off and you will not be able to fix it in the water. If you have a 04- 05 12f or 15f I would check that part out.

I haven't been out on my ski in a while and had this problem as well. Would anyone have a part number or picture I can reference this problem to? This would be a huge help.

+1
    This is the parts diagram of the cylinder head from www.kawasaki.com and the part number is 32144-3703 pipe assy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kawihead.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	112182  

Quote Originally Posted by mirror View Post
    Yea friend with issue here.

It will leave you stranded as it will completely blow the hose right off and you will not be able to fix it in the water. If you have a 04- 05 12f or 15f I would check that part out.

Thanks for the info Mirror.

For clarification, you mentioned 04 - 05. I have an 07...were you refering to 04 -05 12f & 15f models only or all year 15f's?

Thanks again!

+1
    You might have the updated version of the pipe with the copper fitting so that the pot metal isn't under the rubber hose. You can check the cylinder head schematic and probably see the difference but I am not sure. The picture is of the 2004 model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information