Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

a/m carbs and porting for ulltra 150

Im considering investing in some carbs what are the best performing carbs i can get? also where can i get them? Ive been seeing alot of ported gprs can i also port my engine? I want to break into the 70s consistantly i knoe its going to be expensive but how can it be done?

+1
    Put pipes on and nothing else and you'll have a reliable tripple with no porting that will do over 70.

Not worth porting the motor unless you go big....

48's porting, high compression, Ignition ......

Go pipes and be done while running 91

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Put pipes on and nothing else and you'll have a reliable tripple with no porting that will do over 70.

Not worth porting the motor unless you go big....

48's porting, high compression, Ignition ......

Go pipes and be done while running 91
    So forget the carbs , all that other stuff and just put the pipes with cdi ?

How reliable is a tripple pipe ultra ? The thing i dont understand about the ultras 150 is that there is no middle ground for performance its either go realy fast or stay below 70. And tripples is the only way to go fast there are no single pipe setups that can do 75+mph like the gpr. I dont want that much speed i just want like 72-73mph . Im also considering selling the ultra for a gpr wouldnt it be easier getting the speed i want with a gpr?

I realy need some good advise.

+1
    The Ultra is really about the ride. If you like the ride then keep the ski and make it faster. A set of pipes and cdi will be reliable but will be sluggish off the line until the pipes kick in. I your looking for all out top speed then get a GPR but IMO the Ultra is one of the best ski ever made because of how small it is and how it carves.
    Groupk's kits will put you over 70 as will some skiworx kits.

One more thing to think about, can you handle an Ultra at 70 plus? Just a warning if you hit a wave at 70 on an Ultra you don't cut through it like a GPR, you fly over it.

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    The Ultra is really about the ride. If you like the ride then keep the ski and make it faster. A set of pipes and cdi will be reliable but will be sluggish off the line until the pipes kick in. I your looking for all out top speed then get a GPR but IMO the Ultra is one of the best ski ever made because of how small it is and how it carves.
    Groupk's kits will put you over 70 as will some skiworx kits.

One more thing to think about, can you handle an Ultra at 70 plus? Just a warning if you hit a wave at 70 on an Ultra you don't cut through it like a GPR, you fly over it.
    At first i hated the stock ride in the rough. But after the shred and ada sponsons it got alot better. It tracks very well through chop but it still jumps on the bigger stuff. The gpr is very attractive but everyone has one , i kinda like that not that many people have an ultra 150. Im seriously going to get those tripples pipes. So even with my shred and sponsons you still think a gpr tracks way better through chop at 70+mph? I thought the shred gave me an advantage?

If you want to get consistent 71-72 on the Ultra I think you have 2 options. Either triples (with or without carbs) or to get carbs and a full level 2 (porting)

The pros/cons of each:

Triples: Faster than your target of 71-72, Have to run A/M CDI, More complex install, harder to work on the ski (have to take a pipe out to do anything really) even modern day pipes still have power bands, Need to run A/M carbs to get the full advantage of the triples. You can run the stock CV with FPP, but acceleration won't be much more then stock, and you will only be in the 72-73 range.

Porting: Have to send your parts out (lose riding time) if you are doing a top-end replacement, porting doesn't cost that much more then the parts you already need (relatively), Easier install, stock cdi, need A/M carbs, gets you right into the 72-73 range, can add triples later for even more fun.

In terms of A/M carbs, I think the best all around performing are the Novi, even more now with the Gen3 version, but they do cost quite a bit more than other carbs. Buckshots have mixed reviews some people swear by them, others say itís hard to get a consistent tune out of them.

The Mikuni carbs offer the best dollar/performance ratio. Skiworx has a kit that includes the 44mm version of these plus manifolds, pumps, hoses, everything you need to get them running, that would probably be your best bet, pretty cheap to (again relatively)

If you are looking to go all new parts, I'd get a full Level 2 porting and a set of Mikuni 44mm carbs. If you don't mind buying used, you might be able to get a set of Novi's for the price of the Mikunis. However if you buy the Mikunis from the same shop you get the Level 2 work done at, they probably can set the carbs up for you, you will probably still have to do the final tweaking, but at least the carbs will be pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by pthoma1 View Post
    If you want to get consistent 71-72 on the Ultra I think you have 2 options. Either triples (with or without carbs) or to get carbs and a full level 2 (porting)

The pros/cons of each:

Triples: Faster than your target of 71-72, Have to run A/M CDI, More complex install, harder to work on the ski (have to take a pipe out to do anything really) even modern day pipes still have power bands, Need to run A/M carbs to get the full advantage of the triples. You can run the stock CV with FPP, but acceleration won't be much more then stock, and you will only be in the 72-73 range.

Porting: Have to send your parts out (lose riding time) if you are doing a top-end replacement, porting doesn't cost that much more then the parts you already need (relatively), Easier install, stock cdi, need A/M carbs, gets you right into the 72-73 range, can add triples later for even more fun.

In terms of A/M carbs, I think the best all around performing are the Novi, even more now with the Gen3 version, but they do cost quite a bit more than other carbs. Buckshots have mixed reviews some people swear by them, others say itís hard to get a consistent tune out of them.

The Mikuni carbs offer the best dollar/performance ratio. Skiworx has a kit that includes the 44mm version of these plus manifolds, pumps, hoses, everything you need to get them running, that would probably be your best bet, pretty cheap to (again relatively)

If you are looking to go all new parts, I'd get a full Level 2 porting and a set of Mikuni 44mm carbs. If you don't mind buying used, you might be able to get a set of Novi's for the price of the Mikunis. However if you buy the Mikunis from the same shop you get the Level 2 work done at, they probably can set the carbs up for you, you will probably still have to do the final tweaking, but at least the carbs will be pretty close.
    I would be content with 72-73 but i want it as reliable as possible. I dont want to be wrenching all the time . The tripples seem so attractive though . I think it might also be cheaper just to run the tripples and exceed my target speed rather then porting and carbs. Where can i get it fully ported? Can skiworx fully port my engine?

Thanks for giving me your advise guys. I knoe my questions are realy noobish. Your all the best!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information